Over the air antenna

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over the air antenna

kwt1955
Extra
The info that DISH is broadcasting on the "dark" Hearst channels suggests getting an over the air antenna --- If I wanted an over the air antenna, I would have purchased one instead of paying a huge monthly bill. I don't really care who is at fault, I'm doing my part by paying the bill - I just want DISH to deliver what was promised. If they want to send me an antenna and a return postage credit, I'll gladly send it back when DISH and Hearst resolve their issues. Anything less than delivering the agreed upon services is unsatisfactory.
8 Replies

Re: Over the air antenna

hddn
Visual Engineer
Well the agreed upon service specifically disclaims any specific channels. If it didn't, then the local affiliates could ask for anything and Dish would have to agree to any price. And pass it on to you of course. Many suspect that Dish's step of breaking locals into a separate price on the bill is a prelude to making them optional and letting the locals charge what they want and then letting the customers, rather than Dish decide what they are worth. We'll see.

The recent Hearst blackout of DirecTV only lasted 9 days. If Dish's is as short, it seems like it would be silly to ship and return a bunch of antennas. But who knows how long it will be? It takes 2 to agree.

BTW a lot of TVs come with a simple antenna in the box. It might be in a drawer somewhere and be good enough if you live reasonably close.

stile99
Cinematographer
hddn wrote:
Many suspect that Dish's step of breaking locals into a separate price on the bill is a prelude to making them optional and letting the locals charge what they want and then letting the customers, rather than Dish decide what they are worth. We'll see.

Can't wait to see the threads if that happens.

"I demand you cave in to Hearst's bullying! I want my channels back RIGHT NOW!" "OK, you now have a monthly charge of $3.50 for this ONE channel, and they want to double that. The new $7 charge will begin on your next billing cycle..."

hddn
Visual Engineer
It would certainly be different, and I think interesting to see how people react to: This is what they want - each of you can choose to pay it or go without. As opposed to the current system where a bunch of people show up to complain every time Dish negotiates hard and then a bunch of people show up when prices go up to (effectively) complain that Dish should have negotiated harder. Whether it would be "better" or not is another question but it would be an interesting change of pace. :)

JazzAzz
Camera Crew
Our rates will be going up every single year, whether or not Dish can hold the line on paying these blackmailers, Like Hearst more money. One reason I have near had it,

For me paying more than $100 for TV was my quitting point and I am well above that now. Recently had AT&T install Uverse Internet & voice. Now their TV service is just a phone call & days away. I am done paying so much.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Might want to look at your package choices. I'm still in the double digits. I think triple digits for TV would be a breaking point for me too.

JazzAzz
Camera Crew
hddn wrote:
Might want to look at your package choices. I'm still in the double digits. I think triple digits for TV would be a breaking point for me too.

We only have the Top 200 plan, and would not go lower, since my Wife likes certain channels on there, and I love my Classic Jazz (6067) on Sirius/XM.

We don't have one single premium movie channel (Already pay too much).

Have ONE HD (722) DVR, and one DUAL tuner receiver in the living room that controls my Wife's TV and our bedroom TV. They now charge $7.00 per room, total $14, when in the beginning as long as you kept a phone line attached, they just charged $5.00 for that receiver, but they got greedy. Well I am an AT&T Employee, retiree and we get one hecka of a discount, FREE HD, up to 4 or 7 receivers depending if we go Uverse TV or DTV, both saving me $40/mo, so soon Bye Bye to Dish,

DISH Employee
JazzAzz wrote:
hddn wrote:

We only have the Top 200 plan, and would not go lower, since my Wife likes certain channels on there, and I love my Classic Jazz (6067) on Sirius/XM.

We don't have one single premium movie channel (Already pay too much).

Have ONE HD (722) DVR, and one DUAL tuner receiver in the living room that controls my Wife's TV and our bedroom TV. They now charge $7.00 per room, total $14, when in the beginning as long as you kept a phone line attached, they just charged $5.00 for that receiver, but they got greedy. Well I am an AT&T Employee, retiree and we get one hecka of a discount, FREE HD, up to 4 or 7 receivers depending if we go Uverse TV or DTV, both saving me $40/mo, so soon Bye Bye to Dish,

You may want to check out our new Flex Pack which is a new and innovative packaging option that puts more choice and control into your hands. It is considered a 'skinny bundle' and includes more than 50 of the nation's top-rated channels so the channels that your wife prefers may be included in such. You also have the options to add on channel packs which are an excellent complement as they are grouped by a small number of genre-specific channels, allowing for you to create your own, customized viewing experience. Check out the link listed for more details: https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack.

Send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN to better assist.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Well you could cut your Dish package by $40 and you might miss channels for awhile but I think you would eventually realize that there's still more than you can watch. And you could miss some specific channels if you switch to AT&T, but if you have an employee discount there, then you should probably take advantage of it! Employee discounts can be great!