Olympics 2018 4K?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympics 2018 4K?

WynsWrld98
Extra
The subject says it all. Will Dish show any of the 2018 Olympics in 4K?
Tags (3)
6 Replies

Re: Olympics 2018 4K?

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
No. DISH does not have the ability even if the signal from South Korea was 4k. None of the NBC channels are 4k.

WynsWrld98
Extra
That totally sucks. Evidentally Comcast will show it in 4K.

elmo
Character Actor

You will need a Hopper 3 or Joey 4K to watch in 4K. Dish showed the 2016 Rio Olympics in 4K on their rebroadcast channel. But again, you need a Hopper 3. It seems there may be 4K plans for the 2018 Winter games also. https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-Home/Winter-Olympics-in-4K/m-p/5

Josh
Camera Crew
I receive the error code that 4K not supported. Support offered no solution.

Josh
Camera Crew
Although shown on the guide 4K is not being broadcasted per Support. Using Hopper 3 and 4K tv

Wallybunker
Camera Crew

I am prefacing this comment with with a caveat that I am not a techie and don’t claim to be.

After reading comments about the error message 1540 on 147-05 and 540 purporting to show the Olympics in 4K, I began thinking about my hook up for my Sony 65” HD 4K HDR TV. My Hopper3 is connected via an HDMI cable to a Sony Soundbar system, which then connects to the Sony TV through another HDMI cable into HDMI 1. So I decided to conduct an experiment. I bypassed the Sony Soundbar system and ran a different HDMI cable from the Hopper3 to HDMI2. I turned on the TV and Hopper3 and tuned to 147-05. Voila, a crystal clear picture, although the sound had to come through the TV speakers instead of the Sony Soundbar. I got the same result in channel 540. The TV display shows the picture is being received 3840 x 2160p 4K. The picture is awesome. The error message I was receiving about an unsupported TV no longer displayed. In my case, the Soundbar was acting like a speed bump that didn’t allow a 4K connection. I would think Tech Support should think about this, ask questions and offer this as a solution.

I am assuming that the HDR issue remains for sets not HDR compatible, but simply bypassing the Soundbar solved my problem. Just tossing this out as a fix that worked for me.