OTA

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA

john
Extra

Why is DISH offering a OTA antenna and $12 a month? I am interested but companies don't give away services for free, thanks

4 Replies

Re: OTA

Bchan
Camera Crew
So there are a few reasons

1. Some customers can't get locals though the satellite and have to do OTA. For example, my locals come from Western arc satellites but I can only get Eastern arc because of where I need to put my Dish (there are line of site issues on Western arc), so my only choice is OTA.

2. OTA often provides more channels than satellite because you don't need to worry about contracts with OTA, so some people prefer to get those OTA channels and save the 12 a month.

3. From what I understand, locals are one of the worst culprits of jacking their prices way up, so if dish can "cut their cord" from local providers, it would help them in the long run.

There are likely more reasons, but if you can get reliable OTA locals, I would suggest dropping your locals through Dish and doing it that way.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
There are honestly no catches. You’d be actively assisting Dish change the market sphere to make it so customers can have affordable tv. According to the ATVA, since 2008, locals have increased their prices over 10,000% which is so far beyond inflation. It is not altruism, by forcing these channels to offer better pricing, it benefits Dish, as customers are tired of paying high fees and not feeling the reward for such.

tommyy2
Cinematographer

One possible problem:

There are 4 major networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX.

The OTA dongle can only record up to two networks at a time and you cannot have more than one dongle.

So 4 networks, you have a 3 or 4way conflict you can't get them all.

If Dish could update the Hopper to allow 2 dongles to be used at a time this issue would be fixed.

john
Extra

Tommy,

thanks for your reply, now my scary question, my wife uses her hopper extensively, so with what you are saying, does that mean she won't be able to record like she does now?  That would not be good for the household....