No more local channels - does NBC/ABC/CBS On Demand still work?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more local channels - does NBC/ABC/CBS On Demand still work?

Nellybean
Extra

About 6 months ago Dish removed my local channels due to negotiations that they wouldn't budge on. They sent me an antenna, but I am upset because you obviously can't use a DVR with the antenna, and I'm never able to watch the shows I want in live time. So I had Dish remove the local package from my billing. Now I'm wondering, if I was to add the local package back into my programming, would I be able to access "local" On Demand channels, like NBC On Demand, CBS On Demand, etc.? I am so unhappy not having local channels because they are the prime time channels so I miss out on a ton of shows plus my news. I know about apps I can download like FOX Now, but you need to have a subscription to those channels with your tv provider right? Ugh, I'm so frustrated and disgusted with the greed of this company.

5 Replies

Re: No more local channels - does NBC/ABC/CBS On Demand still work?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Some have on demand options, some do not. You can run the OTA through your DVR and record the programming still. Not sure who told you that you couldn’t.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

I have an OTA antenna that is connected to a Hopper 3 and I can record those channels just fine.  Dish sent the antenna to me when they were having a dispute with the local stations in my area.  That was resolved but I kept the antenna connected.  I still have the local channel package because I've heard that if I cancel it I will lose the program descriptions in the Guide. 

Nellybean
Extra

When I first spoke to a rep on the phone about them sending the antenna I asked if it worked with the DVR, and he said no. Do you happen to know how I would go about using the DVR with the antenna?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Depending on your receiver, you may need to purchase a Dish OTA adapter.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

Nellybean wrote:

When I first spoke to a rep on the phone about them sending the antenna I asked if it worked with the DVR, and he said no. Do you happen to know how I would go about using the DVR with the antenna?

Which model DVR do you have?  With my Hopper 3 I have a USB adapter.  One end plugs into the USB 3.0 port on the DVR and the coax from the antenna screws onto the other end. I bought the adapter off Amazon.  With my old ViP 722k DVR I just screwed the antenna directly onto it.