Network channels on Flex Pack

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network channels on Flex Pack

EagleSongs
Character Actor

I have a question about the Flex Pack programming that I haven't gotten a real answer to yet.

I currently have Flex Pack with the locals package, but I'm wondering if I really need them... If I cancel the Locals package, can I still get network channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc.)? (Are there still network feeds without going through the local affiliates?) 

I don't care if it's local, but I still want the national network programming. 

Thanks,

-ME

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Network channels on Flex Pack

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
That’s what happens when the channels price themselves out of competition.
If you went OTA, you can run it through your Dish receiver and still be able to record without having to pay the $12 locAls package charge.
7 Replies

peggyrh
Associate Producer

If you cancel locals your option for the major networks (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) would be over the air with an antenna - if you can get good reception where you live.  It would still be locals, not national feed.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

Before you cancel your locals pack, go to antennaweb.org or TVfool.com to see where and how far the transmitter is located. The site will identify what prime channels are available but they don't list sub-channels. You won't know them until you do a channel scan. Don't waste your money on an indoor antenna unless you will have the antenna at a window where you can actually see the transmission tower.

Tags (1)

EagleSongs
Character Actor

Thanks for the info/advice. However, I don't want to use an antenna, because I never watch anything live. I want it through DISH so I can set timers on the DVR. It just seems wrong that the major networks are not included in a basic package (you have to pay extra to get network programming). 

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
That’s what happens when the channels price themselves out of competition.
If you went OTA, you can run it through your Dish receiver and still be able to record without having to pay the $12 locAls package charge.

EagleSongs
Character Actor

Ah, ok, thanks! I didn't realize you could run the OTA through the DISH receiver. 

PCHearn
Camera Crew

I've tried this a couple of times.  Her's what happened both times.  I have an OTA dongel plugged into my Dish box.  I dropped the local channels, and the channel guide information for my local channels disappeared and i could not set any timers for the local channels.  I called Dish and they said yep, that's how it works.  So I signed up again for the local channels.  A few months later, on this forum, I saw again that I could drop the local channels and still get the channel guide for the local channels.  So I tried it again.  Exact same results.  I can't speak for any other area than Oklahoma, but if I drop the local channels, I lose the channel guide for the local channels and I lose the ability to set a time for a local channel.

EagleSongs
Character Actor

Thanks for the input. I haven't tried it yet, but it's sounding like it's not going to work the way I want it.