Negotiations HBO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiations HBO

Auburn23
Character Actor

As the 6th week closes with still no HBO and Cinemax— it is clear there is no resolution for us satellite users so haven’t said that I have Direct TV on half our property and since they are owned by AT&T the hope for Dish is bleak they will position themselves against every network which means as a consumer we will lose every time. Unfortunately I have learned there are no laws to protect us from being held hostage by these negotiations it is prudent everyone bring Senator etc to developing laws before AT&T monopolizes the whole TV options — I have always been loyal to Dish so the thought of relenting to Direct or AT&T is faliure. So here is the question can a satellite community petition a halt to this flagrant monopoly of programming by AT&T?

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Negotiations HBO

MikeSF
Audio Engineer

The Justice Department has already appealed the lower court decision that allowed ATT to purchase Time-Warner (which included HBO). The court of appeals heard this appeal earlier this month and we are awaiting their decision. A separate article from Bloomberg suggests that these sort of disputes and blackouts will likely be the way of the future as various enterprises seek to monopolize streaming content. We switched from Directv to DISH a month ago, knowing full well that we may never see HBO again unless we subscribe through a separate source (ROKU, Amazon, etc.). Oddly, we have not missed HBO at all. 

Auburn23
Character Actor

Thank you very much for responding so quickly I appreciate the insight 

tommyy2
Cinematographer

Ain't Monopolies a wonderful thing!

That and killing Net Neutrality.

Hurray for the Mega-Corporations, too bad for The Average Citizen.

Cdog18
Character Actor

I'm not sure who is worse, Dish, AT&T or the Government.   All are acting like spolied children at our expense.

I pay for a service and I expect to get that service and not to be backed out due to poor management.

I had Dish years ago and dropped them as they would not provide local channels in the area I lived in at the time.  Direct TV was so I left Dish.  I made the decission to come back to Dish when I moved to my current location as they had the better plan, better cost structure and Direct TV was goving me the run around on their pricing.

Now it appears that Dish is not able to provide me with the servce I expect so in the sprit of free enterprise I am considering all options available to me.  As much as I would prefer to stay with Dish, given that they are not able to provide me with a channel offering that I want then perhaps it is time to once again leave once agin.

The Fiber Optic offereing that is now available to me is looking better and better the longer that Dish takes to clear this all up.   Just like in today's corporations, loyality is a thing of past. So Dish, clear up this mess or lose yet one more customer.  Only one question to your managment team .... How much furhter does your revenue stream need to drop before you come to a compromise with AT&T over HBO?   Hopefully it is before you put yourself out of business.