Local Channels

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Channels

olds4422
Audio Engineer
I thought Local channels are free of charge?? since when are we getting charged for them.
20 Replies

Re: Local Channels

Chadt41411
Casting Director
tsunami2311 wrote:
I thought Local channels are free of charge?? since when are we getting charged for them.

They have just been broken out. If you look at the packages, they have been reduced by $5. This is to show what customers are paying for locals, and how local broadcasters have been increasing their rates. Very similar to what DTV did with the RSNs.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
... nothing went down by 5$ it went it now say 250 84.99+10 for locals for total of 94.99. so again since when are locals charged for they have always been free.

DISH Employee
You had been charged for locals on your previous bills; it was just included in your core packaging price rather than split out as its own line item on your bill. Most recently, our fastest growing programming costs relate to delivering your local channels like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. We added the separate line item to give you more visibility into where our rising costs come from.

Ruraluser
Extra
When i first became a subscriber i was told that locals ARE free due to my living more than 50 miles from local broadcasters. Due to my rural location and local terrain, the use of an outside antenna is not an option with digial broadcasts. Satellite is my only option to get local programming. I am concerned now that, today, our local ABC network is no longer available on dish. Should we lose all local broadcasters, we will have no way of getting severe weather warnings or other safety warnings.

stile99
Cinematographer
Ruraluser wrote:
When i first became a subscriber i was told that locals ARE free due to my living more than 50 miles from local broadcasters. Due to my rural location and local terrain, the use of an outside antenna is not an option with digial broadcasts. Satellite is my only option to get local programming. I am concerned now that, today, our local ABC network is no longer available on dish. Should we lose all local broadcasters, we will have no way of getting severe weather warnings or other safety warnings.

There's no need to worry. Odds are extremely unlikely Hearst owns all your local broadcasters, and if they did they would already be gone. The channel owners are completely aware of the game they are playing and while I won't go so far as to accuse them outright of collusion, I will note that by some sheer coincidence, no particular area has ever had a blackout of all the local channels at the same time.

As for no other way of getting severe weather warnings, you appear to have at least some sort of internet access. If it is on your phone, there are more free apps than you can shake a stick at. Personally I recommend NWS and 1Weather. If it is on your computer, weather.com is the Weather Channel and weather.gov is the NWS.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Hearst blacked out DirecTV customers in January, but that lasted only about 8 days. Perhaps the Dish blackout will be as short. (Though I hope Dish doesn't give in "too" easily.) Locals have been part of the base package price for a long time. But now as local station owners charge more and more, Dish seems to be wanting to give at least the appearance that they could make them optional. If the local prices keep rising, I suspect Dish will let you drop them and will let "the market" sort out how much locals are worth.

I much prefer computers and phones for weather. When away from home, being able to look at weather radar on your phone and see rain coming with accuracy of a few minutes, or knowing if you will soon need to pull over and chain up is just wonderful!

Ruraluser
Extra
Unfortunately, cell is also not available. We have a landline and DSL, thank goodness.....otherwise we would be comepletely off the grid!

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
Ruraluser wrote:
Unfortunately, cell is also not available. We have a landline and DSL, thank goodness.....otherwise we would be comepletely off the grid!

One word... "Radio". And a good weather radio would be a good investment anyway.

hddn
Visual Engineer
DSL is more than adequate for weather info. Though a backup like a radio is not a bad idea.