Local Channel Price Increase

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Channel Price Increase

Are_Aech
Character Actor

Received a card from Dish yesterday saying that the cost of my local channels is going up $2.00 per month. I wouldn't mind so much except for the fact I haven't had ABC for almost 3 weeks now because huge DISH can't reach an agreement with my small town local affiliate! So instead of an increase, I think I'm due credit for all the time I've been unable to watch the channel I've been paying for! I've already dropped a premium channel that I seldom watched just to make a point and to lower my bill to offset the price increase. Probably more to come if Dish doesn't get it together.

Actually, with my Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, I'm beginning to wonder why I need Dish at all?

11 Replies

Re: Local Channel Price Increase

Ranchwife
Extra

We're in the same boat, only we haven't had ABC, NBC or CW (not sure what that stands for) for several days!  And bc of our location...we cannot get cable or even an antenna out here in this remote, rural area.  Wouldn't change where we live for anything but it does mean that we depend entirely on satelite for TV and internet.  So this is REALLY frustrating!  Money, money, money!  It's not like we're not paying enough!  And I bet we never see a dime in compensation for all these days and maybe eventually weeks of not having these channels!  Just venting!  Hope Dish is listening.  When we go to our local network website, they are blaming Dish and Dish is blaming the local small town networks.  Sounds like third graders on a playground!  

Community Manager
Community Manager

The quickest rising cost in the television industry is the fee that television providers pay local channel owners to retransmit their signal to customers.

Lockwood Broadcasting is demanding an unreasonable rate increase, which is more than two times what we currently pay for their channels. DISH offered to match the rates paid by all other pay-TV providers; Lockwood Broadcasting refused this offer.

We fight for our customers every year by negotiating with channel owners to keep your prices low. If we didn’t fight so hard to negotiate reasonable contracts with channel owners, prices would increase even more. Sometimes, this leads to temporary loss of channels while we push for fair pricing.

The new agreements steadily increase costs to deliver the programming we offer and we have to balance providing consistent programming with charging a fair price.

Channel owners raising their rates to satellite and cable companies is an industry-wide issue.

We know how much this impacts you, your friends, and your family. We are working around the clock to reach a reasonable agreement as soon as possible.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
You have to remember, your service agreement specifically says that you do not expect compensation. The increase is to cover the cost of all the other channels going up in price, like they do every year. And when you get your local back, there will be an even higher cost that is paid out, but your price will not be affected until next year at that point.

Are_Aech
Character Actor

Mod Chris S says:

'Lockwood Broadcasting is demanding an unreasonable rate increase, which is more than two times what we currently pay for their channels. DISH offered to match the rates paid by all other pay-TV providers; Lockwood Broadcasting refused this offer.'

Lockwood Broadcasting says:

'We have heard from some DISH subscribers that DISH is telling them that DISH has offered to match the rates paid to us by all other pay TV providers.  This is not true.  If it were true, we would never have had this dispute with DISH in the first place.'

Who should I believe?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Think about who benefits most by deceiving. That would be Lockwood. Customers don’t care if Dish is actually at fault or not. They still hold Dish accountable for it.

Bronco1969
Extra

I agree got price increase and then few days later lost NBC channel, there should be another NBC channel Dish can 

add to programs and not use local channels. Direct TV use to have East  and west options.

Been a Dish customer for almost 20 years and they increase cast every year like other do. 

Looking to change to something else.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Distant locals are no longer allowed.

BobbieMae
Extra
Takedowns are frustrating, no doubt. Have you looked into getting an over-the-air antenna to receive locals and then removing locals from your DISH programming to save on your bill? We did that and now we don't have to worry about takedowns or the increase in locals.

Are_Aech
Character Actor

Not possible. Our community is 100-150 miles away from affiliates and sits in a valley to boot. Before home sat, you either had cable or put up the tallest antenna you could and hoped for 2-3 channels on a good day. Back in the C-band days, I qualified for East coast, West coast and Mountain networks due to location and terrain. Different times.