Left DirecTV after 23 years and my reward....limited guide info (OTA)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Left DirecTV after 23 years and my reward....limited guide info (OTA)

keviha
Character Actor

I decided after 23 years to leave DirecTV for DISH. Today’s installation went smoothly and I’ve been busy learning in’s / out’s of the Hopper 2.  All was going well until I started looking at guide data for the OTA channels in my area (Sacramento).  

I have a large roof mounted antenna, so I passed on locals from DISH and opted for their USB OTA.  I was used to getting local channels thru DTV, so I expected the same level of service with DISH.  Wow, was I in for an unexpected surprise!  

While the OTA tuner found all the channels in my area, the guide data for what would be considered ‘core’

local channels (abc, cbs, cw, nbc, Fox or ‘point 1’s) is extremely limited and missing more than an hour in advance and the other locals (point 2s, 3s) are completely missing.  

How am I supposed to set timers / recordings with all of the missing info?

As I mentioned, I’ve been receiving guide data thru my ancient DTV AM 22 OTA tuner.  Plus, I have a Insignia Fire TV that I have connected to the same antenna....and guess what?  It gets guide data for ALL channels!  

It’s clear DISH is stripping data required to fully populate the guide for OTA channels.  I’ve read replies from DISH employees in other threads attempting to absolve them of responsibility for what so many customers are complaining about.

The fact is they are corporate talking points meant to confuse and misdirect so that their customers don’t realize they are purposefully doing this to all of us who don’t subscribe to their local channel package.

Now I’m stuck with an inferior product for the next 729 days.  Shame on you DISH!!

17 Replies

Re: Left DirecTV after 23 years and my reward....limited guide info (OTA)

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
If you just got installed and it is only going out one hour, wait 3 days.

keviha
Character Actor

I see no documentation that users should expect to wait three days for guide data to populate.  But ok, I’ll wait and if it populates with all satellite and OTA guide data, I’ll come back, fall on the sword and admit my fault.  

However, if all sat / OTA channels don’t populate then I’ll be back to reiterate my original position that Dish is being disingenuous (lying?) as to the real reason non local channel subscribers aren’t receiving OTA guide data for all available OTA channels.

keviha
Character Actor

As promised, I’m back to ‘eat some crow’ on the issue above. While I don’t have guide data for all of the channels I’ve selected to include, I do have for interested secondaries (.2’s and .3’s) and all primaries (.1’s) with the exception of my local Sacramento PBS station (6.1).  All it’s showing is the call station letters.  

I’ve rescanned OTA and hard reboot in attempt to fix.  Any other thoughts?  We’re a big PBS family..plus it’s a core local station.  

Thanks!

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Check your Dish listings in your area to see if there is a local pbs. If there is, it should populate. If not, Dish likely does not pay for the guide data.

keviha
Character Actor

Yes, accordig to Dish local listings for mt area,  I should be receiving Sacramento PBS channel 6.  OTA channel scan found 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4  I’m receiving guide data for secondary’s (6.2, 6.3, 6.4) but not the one i really need....primary PBS channel 6.1. 

I do have guide data for 6.1 on Insignia Fire TV using same antenna....so I know data is being transmitted.  

I appreciate your assistannce.  

Kevin

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The data that you’ll get from the Tv and services such as Dish will be different. Providers such as Dish have to pay for it, but what you get through the tv is PsIP data. I believe the PSIP only goes out 12 hours, so that would be pointless on the receiver(guide would constantly be updating). Not sure why it wouldn’t be coming in on 6.1, if that version of the PBS is carried but dish in your DMA.

keviha
Character Actor
Well, I was receiving guide data for OTA PBS 6.1 thru DirecTV using their OTA tuner (AM 22). It isn’t logical Dish would pay for hat channel and not pass primary (6.1). It would seem to be a Dish issue. What are options to resolve?

brosharfamsupport
Character Actor
I have no idea how to help you. But since you’re talking about the guide I have a question for you. I’m a long time Dish subscriber. I mean LONG time. I used to sell and install Dish back around 1995-1996. Lol. Does the Directv guide still allow you to select the channel logo on the far left to tune to that channel while you still stay in the guide to continue to see what’s available to watch?

keviha
Character Actor

Ha. Let's see....I can only speak to the DirecTV receivers I was using before cancelling and switching to Dish. I was using two older receivers (HR 22 / 24) with their OTA USB tuners (AM - 22).  Neither of those receivers allowed the user to select channel logo while staying in the guide.  It's possible DirecTV's new receivers had that or similar functionality...but I can't say for sure.  

@brosharfamsupport wrote:
I have no idea how to help you. But since you’re talking about the guide I have a question for you. I’m a long time Dish subscriber. I mean LONG time. I used to sell and install Dish back around 1995-1996. Lol. Does the Directv guide still allow you to select the channel logo on the far left to tune to that channel while you still stay in the guide to continue to see what’s available to watch?