Houston Astros games blacked out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Houston Astros games blacked out

Joe1
Extra

From reading the other questions, I guess what a lot of people are asking is this - "Why not pay the ATT Sportnet asking price and then pass it along to Dish customers in a premium programming package to those willing to pay it"? Let the customers decide if it is too expensive.

If you are saying ATT Sportsnet won't negotiate with Dish at any price, that sounds like anti-trust since Dish and Direct TV are competitors. Or are you saying Dish socializes all of its programming to some degree and non Astros fans would be paying more also?

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
ATT has been very clear that it is the latter. Dish would have jumped at the opportunity to single it out, but channel owners want as many people subscribed as possible, since they are paid by subscriber, not viewer. Same goes for the LA Sports channel owned by Spectrum. They do not want it separate from regular packages. And still want premium prices.

astrosgirl
Extra

Don,  Why don't you provide the correct answer which is DISH has failed to get an agreement with AT&T Southwest and has been in negotiations (or more of a stand off) for a year now.  Anyone in Houston that has Dish Network and wants to watch the astros is screwed!  Time to change to another provider.  The negotiations has gone way too long!

wrote:

Hi DonB. You can see the available games for your location by entering your zip code in our Game Finder here: https://www.mydish.com/gamefinder.

psandoz
Extra

Just found this thread and it's dated April, but I thought I'd try again here. Any updates on this situation since April? If anyone from DISH is monitoring this space, how many subscribers would need to cancel before DISH would feel the economic impact of not negotiating and paying the rights to broadcast Astro's games. I follow some of the conversation and it seems it's about $$, but overall when the Astro's are positioned to make another run at the World Series, this get's real.

Other thoughts?

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The NY RSNs have not been available since atleast 2010... if that answers your questions. Not as many people care about sports overall, as you think they do. Which is why this channel has gone bankrupt once already.

CypressTXGuy
Extra

Chad, I'm giving DISH until March 30th to add AT&T Sports SW to the lineup. I've been a loyal DISH customer for more than 10 years. My bill is $230/mo with DISH. If no Astros 2019 for Houston customers, I'm leaving DISH. Time to provide a local sports team in the 4th largest city in America.

DISH Employee

Hi Cypress. I know that not being able to enjoy your favorite team can be frustrating. I'd be pleased to submit a programming request form on your behalf for this channel., if you would like. 

CypressTXGuy
Extra

Yes Kimberely, please do. It's past time.

DISH Employee

I have submitted a programming request form for this channel. Would there anything else I can help out with this afternoon?

KWJ
Extra

Has dish made any progress with the blackouts for the games?  I am a 20 year customer and am about to swap over so I can watch the games.