Houston Astros games blacked out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Houston Astros games blacked out

Chadt4141
Production Manager
Whether home or away, would not change the viewing market. If you live in Houston, you are in houstons market, whether home or away. That means the majority of games will be blacked out, if ATT SportsNet Houston has the viewing rights for that game in the Houston area.

Proctor
Extra
Ok, but why blackout every Astros game for people who are 100 miles away. Before they won the Championship the games were not blacked out. So does that mean that other networks were willing to pay more for their rights? Or does dish like the Dodgers?

Chadt4141
Production Manager
Aga N, it’s not Dish. If you are in the Astros market, and ATT SportsNet Houston has purchased the viewing rights(which they likely have), you will be blacked out on Dish until they have a contract with ATT.

Proctor
Extra
So AT&T bought the rights...Direct TV has a contract with them to air AT&T channel but Dish has not setup a contract with them yet? Just making sure I understand how it is not Dish. Funny how the same thing happened when Texas A&M was playing good and winning games a few years ago. Just looking to see what people have to look forward to in the future when their home team is winning.

Chadt4141
Production Manager
Directv and ATT purchased the channel out of bankruptcy and ATT SportsNet Houston secured the viewing rights for that market. Not many have the channel, which is why it is struggling.
The longhorn network, when the contract ran up with its owner, was included as part of the renewal deal. When the contract expires for the other ATT SportsNet channels expires, there may be a push for it, but considering the price tag, in addition to the fact that the channel is struggling and has gone bankrupt once already,... not likely. Stranger things have happened.

Re: Astros Blacked out!!

Noremacv
Extra
Yes i have had enough of dish blacking out the astros games. I am cancelling my subscription and will go with att who will show all of the astros games. And my monthly bill will be less than dish at over $200 a month

Noremacv
Extra
Very irritated with dish for blacking out the astros games. Im in the process of cancelling snd switching to att who wont black out my hometeams games.

Joe1
Extra

So, why doesn't Dish offer the Astros on a PPV basis like College football's Game Plan or other such premium programming?

I am sure it would be expensive, but shouldn't you let subscribers decide if they want to pay the price or not, or are you saying that the ATT network channel's ownership won't even negotiate that type or arrangement with Dish?

Joe1
Extra

Do you know when the current ATT Sportnet contract expires?

Chadt4141
Production Manager
If they own the viewing rights in your area(Houston area), PPV wouldn’t work either. ATT owns the viewing rights in the Houston area.