Houston Astros games blacked out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Astros Blacked out!!

Chadt4141
Production Manager
It may have something to do with 2 factors. 3 if you count currently.

1) ATT and Directv(premerger) purchased what is now known as ATT SportsNet Houston.

2) the channel has already gone bankrupt because of low viewership once. They are asking premium prices, while on life support.

3) Currently, the channel is barely hanging on due to low viewership because of the few number of providers that have access to the channel. It will go bankrupt a second time in the near future, it’s ratings are almost as low as before filing bankruptcy by Comcast.

Switching to another provider may give you short term satisfaction, but enjoy the bill that goes with it, especially after you end up paying for their bankruptcy. You will also lose out on quite a bit of the most advanced tech, so you’d be taking a few steps backwards, while paying more, while getting less for just the one channel.

Now how to make a change... contact the Astros and demand they make their games more available, and close the channel ownership monopoly on specific teams.

Re: Houston Astros games blacked out

azalene
Extra
I have MLB extra innings $175 and still can’t watch them. I live in Nacogdoches in the country and can’t get cable or local channels. Dish advertised I could watch out of network games. All home games blacked out.

azalene
Extra
I have MLB pkg and still can’t watch game

Chadt4141
Production Manager
That would be in market for you. Which means that it would be blacked out, since ATT SportsNet Houston is not included with Dish, and ATT blacks the area out otherwise. Refer to previous post.

Re: Astros Blacked out!!

DonB
Character Actor

I dont care if directv goes bankrupt or not. But Dish is charging people for packages that Dish knows will not be broadcasted they should be forced to pay customers back the money they stold. Today Cant see Astos and the twins game in Minnesota, it is blocked look at gamefinder almost all programming of MLB is Blocked except Lattino.

DonB
Character Actor

Look at Gamefinder more games blocked than you can watch.I would ask for my money back.

Chadt4141
Production Manager
I would strongly encourage you to read your service agreement if you feel this is them stealing from you. I would also recommend you look at the actual role of a television provider. They simply rebroadcast a signal as sent by the channel owner, and allows content per the channel owner. There is absolutely no guarantee for any specific programming on any channel. Dish is fulfilling their role. They are rebroadcasting the channel feed. You’ll have to take it up with the leagues and teams and channel owners as to why they implement those blackout restrictions preventing you from watching. This is not a decision Dish gets to make.
As for the Astros, you’re in their market, and you do not pay for their games. The MLB package is only for Out of market games.

DonB
Character Actor

I do not have a good working knollage of programming or channel packages but why is todays game Astros & Minnesota blocked here game is in (Minnesota) is that still a home game? And on 4/8 Astros & Padres game in Houston on FSSD wouldnt that be a reigonal game. Directv aired it on FSSD but not dish. As I said I have little knollage so please help me to understand.

fmonahan659
Extra

It's because ATT/DirectTV bought the Roots network that has both The Astros and Rockets.  DirecTV and Dish are in a perpetual pissing contest and can't/won't come to an agreement to allow Dish to show the games.  Very frustrating.  It's been like this for years now.  

DonB
Character Actor

As I understand it Dish or any other company of this type has to buy the rights (sports anything else that people would want to see) to rebroadcast content or in some cases they get paid to rebroadcast (HSN) and other channels of this type. I dont care about how it works I just want to see my Astros.