cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropped Channels

davidpr
Character Actor

You dropped PBS, Univision, and now you dropped Telemundo and NBC??? So why the hell should i keep DISH? a worthless company. Cable company here i come.

8 Replies

Re: Dropped Channels

Shazam
Camera Crew

I hear you. they lock you into a 2 yr contract but then they drop channels and make you get the highest cost package just to get 1 or 2 channels you like then they shut them off. I used to watch the cloo channel but it got dropped. I pretty much pay for maybe 10 channels I actually watch I've tried getting them to have more where we pick which channels we want and only get billed for the ones we watch. instead we get charged to much. I'm sure direct tv is the same

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
They didn’t drop Cloo. Cloo ceased to exist. As far as packages channels are in, that is decided by the channel owner. The channel owners contractually obligate which package the channels go in.

Shazam
Camera Crew

I used cloo as an example There was the chiller channel and it's gone now too. The point was when dish advertises channels then changes the line up it doesn't void the contract but they still want their money even tho they change things like the fight with the network. There was no notice this was going to happen and no opportunity for us to have input on keeping channels. I hate the sporty channels but have to pay for them just to get the few channels I like.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
You could use the Flex Plan

What you describe is not uncommon for ANY provider. And if they announced when they were in negotiations with every channels they were in negotiations with, you’d see something all day everyday... hundreds of contracts signed per year with channel owners, and a very small amount you actually hear about. Most contracts are signed at the 11th hour. Your input is received automatically every time you turn your channel on. The advantage to digital receivers is it records the number of customers, regions, and times each channel is viewed for statistical data. That is your feedback.

Shazam
Camera Crew

The veiwer data  should be used in negotiations when people use ota antennas the networks have no data how many are watching. Dish can provide this so the networks can charge more for their commercials. It should also be pointed out that they are already charging the same or more than the premium channels with hit movies and no commercials. while they have paid programming on most of the time. the only real thing they have is the main time at night but anymore they are mostly reruns and day and time changes constantly. Like i've said on other posts if dish wanted to really win these fights they would come up with a solution to get the locals OTA at peoples houses and then there wouldn't be any thing to negotiate. They would have to give the channels to dish for free.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Dish is already one of, if not the only, providers that allows a couple of different things. Firstly, the ability to use OTA with your Dish DVR. That means you can record your OTA programming. In addition, Dish allows customers to drop their locals subscription package, mainly for the reason listed above.

If Dish did as you describe, they would still have to pay the local channel owners. That is a retransmission issue. They already get a lot of the local channels from OTA to an uplink, if you were aware. Dish cannot have Dish equipment circumventing the Channel owners. They can, however, allow users a choice, and allow them the choice to use their own equipment and make it easier. You have good suggestions, but they are not practical and in some cases legal.

chipmunkb
Extra

I only had dish for about 1 week and they dropped ABC and that is one of the channels we watch on a regular basis. The first month they gave me a $5 discount. Talked to them today and they said I could purchase something that I could watch ABC.  Why do I want to purchase something that I am paying for already. If I would have known this I would not have switched to dish and stayed with direct

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Remember, you’re not paying for dropped channels. The assumption that you are is incorrect. You’re paying for a package sold as subject to change... as per both the contract and service agreement.