cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish isn't even trying to get our locals back anymore

Are_Aech
Character Actor

The latest update from my missing local channel:

UPDATE, Feb. 16: We wanted to update everyone on where we stand with DISH.  On February 9th we made a very fair and reasonable offer for DISH to begin carrying KAKE again.  Believe it or not, we have heard nothing—not a peep—since that date.

We understand your frustration, but please understand that we are frustrated too.  DISH is the exception in our company’s experience with these matters.  We have been successful in maintaining carriage with every other provider in the market.  That’s worth repeating:  we have never had a carriage disruption, at any time, with any other provider.

Perhaps the reason is that DISH, a company with a 21 billion dollar market cap, doesn’t really care about viewers or our local communities.  Ask yourself, if you were truly interested in restoring KAKE to the DISH Network, whether you would not even respond to the other side’s offer for more than week?

At this point we strongly advise you to consider all alternative options to view  KAKE and our local news and weather reporting.  We have long-term deals with every other cable and satellite provider, and our signal is available over the air with an antenna.  We wish it were otherwise, but we just don’t believe DISH has any interest in completing a deal, particularly after they refused to respond to our most recent effort to restore KAKE.

16 Replies

Re: Dish isn't even trying to get our locals back anymore

peggyrh
Associate Producer

How do you know what Dish - or the channel itself - is actually doing in negotiations? I've had satellite for more than 20 years and that's what's said everytime, you're believing propaganda. The bottom line is that the greedy network wants more money to air their station and Dish is (hopefully) fighting back. 

bwllevans
Character Actor

I would like to get straight information from DISH. Dishpromise.com has basically no information while KTEN provides weekly updates. Now I have no way of knowing who is being truthful, but the lack of information from DISH lends

more credibility to KTEN's updates.

Are_Aech
Character Actor

Same with KAKE.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
The truthful answer is that they are negotiating, and Lockwood is not getting paid right now, so they want to use you to do their negotiating for them. And that’s exactly what you are going. As Peggy mentioned, it’s propaganda.

bwllevans
Character Actor

DISH has said that they offered to pay current rate and then pay the negotiated rate retroactively. KTEN's station manager emailed me a response thatn they did not. How do we knowm who to believe.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Really doesn't matter, you will get the station back when they reach an agreement, until then there really isn't anything you can do, it's all in the hands of the contract negotiators and what's really going on is always kept private. The station manager is just feeding you the standard answer (which is the same one every station puts out to the public), he doesn't know anymore about negotiations than you do.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
People think it’s Dish negotiating with KTEN or kAKE, or any of the others... not realizing that Dish has not said a single word to any of them. Dish is dealing with a company that is not local(as much as the local channels make that claim) names LockWood. Lockwood made the decision to remove your stations. Lockwood continues to hold your channel from you.
Look at every local channel take down and you’ll see the script very much the same from all of them. That is because they all belong to the NAB, and that is likely the largest reason this all happens. The NAB is who should truly be investigated for collusion and possible RICO charges.

bwllevans
Character Actor

I do undestand that DISH is negotiating with Lockwood Broadcasting. It's just easier for me to use my local stations call letters. I do think that KTEN's general manager would have some insite into the negotiations. I also am not sure that I believe all brodcasters follow lock step behind the NAB.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
The GMs would have absolutely limited information. Basically “we’re working on a deal” and “put this out on your media pages”. and almost ALL broadcasters are part of the NAB and yes, they collude as it is in their best interest. You can tell the ones that don’t. They don’t post an identical statement as EVERYONE else.