DISH becomes competitive and relevant...again!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISH becomes competitive and relevant...again!

jbriggs
Character Actor

I have read so many different posts, suggestions, and frustrations concerning the dispute between HBO and DISH.  Perhaps it could have been tried to include HBO for every DISH subscriber as part of some enhanced base-package.  Would it be so bad to add a little bit more to the DISH service so that customers are not looking for an alternative?  What if this caused DISH to grow subscribers instead of losing them.

DISH is about giving customers a great service at a good, competitive price.  The tagline for DISH is:
The Only Satellite TV Provider That’s Tuned In To You

From my current research on the price for AT&T DIRECTV versus DISH, the two are very similarly priced.  Both services are bleeding out customers every month, as consumers "cut the cord."  What if giving people more of what they want to watch being available on DISH, becomes more compelling and attractive, such that people may choose not to break away, and DISH starts to grow again.  It becomes TV again without having to have an internet connection to watch these new content services.  It is a win/win/win scenario for the content provider, DISH, and the customer.

Not certain about the technical and business requirements, DISH could offer HBO to everyone as inculded in the base package (perhaps forcing DIRECTV to do the same).  Give customers more and keep them longer!  Be better than the other satellite provider, and even cable companies.  Could DISH provide HULU content, future DISNEY+ content, even possibly Netflix?  Let's give people what they want to watch through DISH!  I want to be able to go to my DISH service and watch all the content I want to, and I do not mind paying for it.  

9 Replies

Re: DISH becomes competitive and relevant...again!

bobC
Audio Engineer

Great post.  Could/should be titled "Basic Business Practices 101"

Moreso, "you need to spend money to make money"

tommyy2
Cinematographer

I find what you have written nice sounding but not at all based in reality.  For the life of me I don't understand how you could believe what you have written.

" Perhaps it could have been tried to include HBO for every DISH subscriber as part of some enhanced base-package. Would it be so bad to add a little bit more to the DISH service so that customers are not looking for an alternative? "

Would it be so bad to have a substantial price increase for every one of Dish's customers by adding HBO for all even those who don't ever want it?  I for one would leave Dish, and I bet I'm in the majority.

"What if this caused DISH to grow subscribers instead of losing them"

More likel;y it would put Dish out of business.  Instead of the present loss of subscribers this would cause a massive exodus, which appears exactly what ATT is trying to do.

Your post just has all this stuff Dish should just add, however no where do you even mention who will get stuck with the bill for it all or any idea of what that bill will be.

Perhaps you should be running for office?
@jbriggs wrote:

I have read so many different posts, suggestions, and frustrations concerning the dispute between HBO and DISH.  Perhaps it could have been tried to include HBO for every DISH subscriber as part of some enhanced base-package.  Would it be so bad to add a little bit more to the DISH service so that customers are not looking for an alternative?  What if this caused DISH to grow subscribers instead of losing them.

DISH is about giving customers a great service at a good, competitive price.  The tagline for DISH is:
The Only Satellite TV Provider That’s Tuned In To You

From my current research on the price for AT&T DIRECTV versus DISH, the two are very similarly priced.  Both services are bleeding out customers every month, as consumers "cut the cord."  What if giving people more of what they want to watch being available on DISH, becomes more compelling and attractive, such that people may choose not to break away, and DISH starts to grow again.  It becomes TV again without having to have an internet connection to watch these new content services.  It is a win/win/win scenario for the content provider, DISH, and the customer.

Not certain about the technical and business requirements, DISH could offer HBO to everyone as inculded in the base package (perhaps forcing DIRECTV to do the same).  Give customers more and keep them longer!  Be better than the other satellite provider, and even cable companies.  Could DISH provide HULU content, future DISNEY+ content, even possibly Netflix?  Let's give people what they want to watch through DISH!  I want to be able to go to my DISH service and watch all the content I want to, and I do not mind paying for it.  

jbriggs
Character Actor

Thank you for the reply. It does cause one to think about business strategy and opportunity costs.  I want to point out with a little more thought to this, what I have proposed is what Apple TV+ is gating ready to rollout to consumers. 

Consumers want simplicity. Apple TV+ has said they will have everything in one application so viewers can access their Netflix, HULU, even mentioning DIRECTV on their presentation.  Viewers subscribe to this service and get everything they want to watch in one interface.  Hmm, why can’t DISH do that? Apple isn’t doing anything impossible and clearly is looking to make some money out of all this.  DISH should be in a better position to deliver this service. 

Think outside the box.  I certainly did not imply that DISH should do all this for free.  At some point, you have to stop the bleeding of customers.  Yes, going out of business is one way.  The other way is to tune in to what customers are watching, and implement a way to give it to them, becoming relevant and growing.  

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Less than 20% of customers were watching HBO, which is exactly why and how this dispute took place, so it would be reasonly expected to believe they are tuned in.

jbriggs
Character Actor

We may be missing the point.  It’s not just about HBO.  Right now 0% of DISH subscribers are watching HBO on DISH.  I had to subscribe to HBO on Amazon.  I subscribe to Netflix, HULU, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and then DISH.  I think DISH is great, but I find myself watching less with DISH.  I do not want to end my DISH service, but find it becoming less relevant.

I am hoping DISH can provide me one point of service to access the content I want to watch.  I am certain DISH is aware of YouTube TV, HULU Live, T-Vision, Disney+, and efforts from Apple TV+ to bring things all together.  Apple didn’t mention DISH, but they did mention DirecTV.  So DISH can be tuned in to their viewer. Their viewers are not watching HBO at all with them now.  

What are their viewers watching?  Give me the content and channels people are watching so that DISH doesn’t disappear.  Someone is going to get this right.  Disney+ projects a loss for a couple of years as it grows a subscriber base from 0 to 90+ million.  Then it becomes profitable and relevant. You need to invest some money to build your business. DISH should tune in to what people are watching and give it to us. I will pay for it, and it’s much more convenient to get it all from one place than having to subscribe and be billed by 4 other content services.  Food for thought. 

tommyy2
Cinematographer

How much do you think Apple will be charging for their has verything service, how much do you think the average Dish customer pays?

Seems like you really don't care what the cost is, i do, do you?

What would you be willing to pay?

jbriggs
Character Actor

First, I care.  I pay $9 for Netflix, $7 for HULU, $15 for HBO, and about $11 a month for Amazon Prime video.  I will subscribe to Disney+ for $7 a month and that totals about $50 a month for the extra content my family enjoys.  I don’t have any idea into what Apple will charge, but they have a News+ for only $10/month that allows me to read any of 300+ magazines each month, and I love that.  I enjoy maybe a dozen magazines and only have to pay $10 each month.  

I am not in marketing, business, or anything special.  I love DISH and hope that it gets better instead by providing what people want to watch.  Customers will pay.  For me, subscribing is cheaper than taking the family out to the movies and we get to enjoy shows at home.  I live frugally. I am hoping DISH can provide more options.  That’s the point to my first post here. 

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

This all sounds nice but if it would increase my monthly bill by even $1 I would not be interested.  I have read that only 20% of DISH customers subscribed to HBO and the other 80% couldn't care less about it, including me.

brosharfamsupport
Camera Crew
I believe what people will see in time is all these services are actually going to cost you more than Dish or Directv. If you want all that content that’s great. What I like about Dish and the reason I’ve been with them since 1999 is lower price vs satellite competition (I’ve always lived without cable options) and ground breaking technology. Dish blows Directv and any cable company away with the tech in their receivers. I can only think of one tech advantage to Directv and it’s quite small. Dish isn’t an early adopter like Directv. For that you must pay. And if you’ve been paying attention to the news you see Directv Go and ATT have dropped HBO. So obviously HBO is the issue.