cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

DISH: Just take the deal already.

haakon
Camera Crew

Those having the expendable income to afford HBO in the first place can handle a price increase.

The writing was on the wall when AT&T dirtbags acquired Time Warner and a judge ruled in their favor. It's highly unlikely Dish will win whatever it's trying to win in court.

When does the DISH/AT&T boxing match start anyway? February? October? 2020??  And then wait on a decision...

It sure would be nice to see postings of the usual public updates from the court, calander of hearings, hearings wrap-ups and the like posted in dish(dot)com/news or /promise.

That would give us an idea of some point in time an when informed decision could be made to invest in hardware (if needed) and HBO Now. Granted, I am not at all wild about giving up HBO paralleling my other channels in my receiver's convenient programming and viewing features.

If Dish then later won in court, a price roll back and a pro-rated refund to customers.

Because by the end of March, when I'll buy a Roku Premium box and subscribe to HBO Now begining in April (GoT begins April 14), it'll be too late.

Then it could be I'll confirm what "everyone" is saying: I really don't need any sat/cable provider at all anymore. Though giving up content independent of a connection to teh intuhnetz is not something I'm fond of.

Come to think of it, I haven't yet shopped DirecTV Now.

All that said, Good Luck for a Winning!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: DISH: Just take the deal already.

haakon
Camera Crew

Jommyy22, "Kaakon, Your first post seems to be more of an attempt to condemn Dish than anything else." My focus, being kept in the dark, is unseemingly condemnable.

Bloomberg 12/07/18
The HBO blackout stems from Ergen’s refusal to meet the network negotiators’ demand that Dish pay for a minimum number of subscribers, even if the number who actually want the network is smaller.

This has been widely and inexpertly reported that Dish can't or won't amortize the total cost to just its HBO subscribers.
In a statement, HBO Chief Executive Officer Richard Plepler said his company offered to extend the contract deadline so the parties could continue negotiating, but Dish refused.

Seems we could still be watching HBO while a deal might be struck. Or no deal and customers then could look for alternatives. Either way, HBO viewers' budgets get hit. And can afford it.

"Not all torrents are illegal"
True. But HBO content is copyrighted globally wherever free-enterprise registration is available and downloading such IS illegal, dismissing tyranical autocracies, despots and anarchists. Unless you think HBO lawyers are too stupid to copyright Game of Thrones, for example.
"John Stankey, the CEO of ATT and Warner Media...wants more eyes on the programming...I guess torrenting is his suggestion."
Bad guess; Stankey isn't stupid. Even though over the years, illegal download metrics for GoT garnered it popularity bragging rights. As if George R. R. Martin and HBO needed scofflaws for that.

Since my second post was deleted, I'll again point out the keystone of U.S. copyright law was written into The Constitution in 1778: To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries. (Title 17 codifies limited time for authorship as the life of the author plus 70 years.) Evading that ideal is a direct violation of an inalienable civil right. And breaking the law. Period.

"There is no court proceedings between aTt and Dish. They are between ATT and the DOJ."

I could have wrapped up my boxing metaphor with greater attention to detail. Within the context of this discussion, there are two contestants, AT&T and Dish with one winner no matter the arena, right now the DOJ. The silence from Dish as to current events is deafening.

As my service for I forget how long, Dish is as good as it can be expected.  In the meantime, the dearth of on-demand alternate options I've researched to date, I'll need to stay on for beIN given its global content (as in, the wee hours of the morning), there is the need for the solid, reliable scehduled recording only a DVR receiver can deliver.

Sadly, I believe Dish will loose and as the primitive occasionally used Amazon Video app in an anceint Blu-ray player won't do, I see a nice Roku Ultra in my future and an HBO subscription in my Prime account. Which I can afford.  So can law-abiding fans of HBO for a like setup with some other hardware and a legitimate service/provider and an upper-mid or higher level intuhwebs/cellular service. Which they can afford.

There it is for what it's worth amongst the Dish Community Heros, me being here for merely a few days, having a lowly single digit post count and being an intentional liar,  with my refernce to them as dirtbags outing me as an "ATT Shill."

Given that caste status, I hope in all fairness against another deletion and no longer have compelling reason to engage in further dialogue, might as well remove this feed in my RSS client.

Cheers to all!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
There is no court proceedings between aTt and Dish. They are between ATT and the DOJ. The court hearings have already taken place, December 6th. The appellate court is going to render their opinion, likely in February, although they have not given a timeline to deliver that information.

The impasse is not about a price increase to HBO subscribers. It is about the fact that ATT is demanding that non HBO subscribers pay for HBO and cinemax(A minimum subscriber guarantee far above what number of customers previously subscribed to HBO previously). Not all torrents are illegal, so to give the advice they gave, is not promotions an illegal service.

In addition to that, John Stankey, the CEO of ATT and Warner Media, well he said that he doesn’t want more subscribers. He wants more eyes on the programming, so I guess torrenting is his suggestion... yes ATT are greedy pigs across the board.

tommyy2
Cinematographer

Kaakon,

Your first post seems to be more of an attempt to condemn Dish than anything else.  Even speading the falsehood that all ATT wants is an increase in the price each HBO subscriber would have to pay.  At first I thought that was a mistake on your part?  Your second post shows you are quite knowledgeable so now I no longer believe the falsehoods of your first post were really mistakes. but instead are intentional lies you are spreading to help ATT and pressure Dish.

You've only been here since 1/13 19 and have already posted 4 times, all having to do with this ATT HBO mess.  Was that when ATT decided to up the pressure on Dish?

Looking at all this leaves no doubt, my only question is how many other ATT Shills are also posting here in an attempt to put pressure on Dish?

This is a perfect example of how unregulated monopolies can end up cheating the consumer.  As I said before what ATT is doing is dispicable and I will be boycotting all ATT products from now on. 

peggyrh
Casting Director

To repeat what Chad said before -

"The impasse is not about a price increase to HBO subscribers. It is about the fact that ATT is demanding that non HBO subscribers pay for HBO and cinemax (A minimum subscriber guarantee far above what number of customers previously subscribed to HBO previously). "

I agree with Dish, & do not want to be forced to pay a higher price for a service I do not use.  

haakon
Camera Crew

Jommyy22, "Kaakon, Your first post seems to be more of an attempt to condemn Dish than anything else." My focus, being kept in the dark, is unseemingly condemnable.

Bloomberg 12/07/18
The HBO blackout stems from Ergen’s refusal to meet the network negotiators’ demand that Dish pay for a minimum number of subscribers, even if the number who actually want the network is smaller.

This has been widely and inexpertly reported that Dish can't or won't amortize the total cost to just its HBO subscribers.
In a statement, HBO Chief Executive Officer Richard Plepler said his company offered to extend the contract deadline so the parties could continue negotiating, but Dish refused.

Seems we could still be watching HBO while a deal might be struck. Or no deal and customers then could look for alternatives. Either way, HBO viewers' budgets get hit. And can afford it.

"Not all torrents are illegal"
True. But HBO content is copyrighted globally wherever free-enterprise registration is available and downloading such IS illegal, dismissing tyranical autocracies, despots and anarchists. Unless you think HBO lawyers are too stupid to copyright Game of Thrones, for example.
"John Stankey, the CEO of ATT and Warner Media...wants more eyes on the programming...I guess torrenting is his suggestion."
Bad guess; Stankey isn't stupid. Even though over the years, illegal download metrics for GoT garnered it popularity bragging rights. As if George R. R. Martin and HBO needed scofflaws for that.

Since my second post was deleted, I'll again point out the keystone of U.S. copyright law was written into The Constitution in 1778: To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries. (Title 17 codifies limited time for authorship as the life of the author plus 70 years.) Evading that ideal is a direct violation of an inalienable civil right. And breaking the law. Period.

"There is no court proceedings between aTt and Dish. They are between ATT and the DOJ."

I could have wrapped up my boxing metaphor with greater attention to detail. Within the context of this discussion, there are two contestants, AT&T and Dish with one winner no matter the arena, right now the DOJ. The silence from Dish as to current events is deafening.

As my service for I forget how long, Dish is as good as it can be expected.  In the meantime, the dearth of on-demand alternate options I've researched to date, I'll need to stay on for beIN given its global content (as in, the wee hours of the morning), there is the need for the solid, reliable scehduled recording only a DVR receiver can deliver.

Sadly, I believe Dish will loose and as the primitive occasionally used Amazon Video app in an anceint Blu-ray player won't do, I see a nice Roku Ultra in my future and an HBO subscription in my Prime account. Which I can afford.  So can law-abiding fans of HBO for a like setup with some other hardware and a legitimate service/provider and an upper-mid or higher level intuhwebs/cellular service. Which they can afford.

There it is for what it's worth amongst the Dish Community Heros, me being here for merely a few days, having a lowly single digit post count and being an intentional liar,  with my refernce to them as dirtbags outing me as an "ATT Shill."

Given that caste status, I hope in all fairness against another deletion and no longer have compelling reason to engage in further dialogue, might as well remove this feed in my RSS client.

Cheers to all!

View solution in original post