Class Action Suit, Anyone???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action Suit, Anyone???

qbob300
Character Actor

As a 9 Year and `10 Month long customer (as I've been told) I have an issue with our main receiver (which is 9 years and 10 months old)..."Hard Drive Failure" is claims.  So when I call to replace it, I have been told my $ amt to replace it!  WHAT???  What do you mean I have to pay for equipment???  Then I noticed the "Silver" package 9which I never ordered or approved) charge of $9.99, and no place to remove it on my subscription online!  I pay an outragious amt as it is and you can't give me a new receiver?  I don't want a Hopper, etc, I just want a new unfancy" receiver!  So would anyone be interested on a "Class Action Suit" regarding the $9.99 monthly charge?  I figure at 9 years and 10 months, Dish owes me $1178.82...that should pay for a new receiver!

11 Replies

Re: Class Action Suit, Anyone???

MikeSF
Audio Engineer

I don't know what agreement you signed more than 9 years ago but my agreement made it clear that Silver Service is included without charge for the first six months and then is $9.99 monthly after that. I have been able to handle account decisions with online chat and I know this can be done by phone as well. I'm not a lawyer but I don't see a basis for a class action. Even if DISH snuck the coverage in without telling you I would think there is an expectation that people will actually read the monthly bill and react accordingly for unauthorized charges. Why don't you review your original agreement and then contact DISH customer service and find out what can be done to satisfy you. I'm certain that any lawyer will tell you that you need to do this before any legal action can be considered.

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
If would also help to know that everybody dish customer(as with most tv providers) you waived your right to a class action and lawsuit(other than small claims). You did this in lieu of individual arbitration.

The courts also agree that you have 30-60 days to dispute any charges. The plan you’re talking about went by a different name. It was called the Protection Plan until recently. Your numbers are also way off, as the majority of the last 9 years, the protection plan was $6, until 2014 it was $7, and 2017 was $8.

DISH Employee

Hi, Gbob300, I am sorry to hear that you recently had issues with your hard drive, I would be happy to look over your account with you in more detail. Please send me a private message with your phone number and 4 digit security code. Please follow the steps found here:  https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

Worldman
Extra

Should you wish to drop the service charge for your service protection plan, you may contact customer service and they will help drop the $9.99. Be aware that any service you have on your premises or any equipment replacement will be charged at nearly $100 for the call or be replaced with you paying the shipping charges.

qbob300
Character Actor

That's my problem....I have the protection plan and they STILL want to charge me those prices!  If it's not helping me now..it sure won't help me in the future!  So all that I have paid for this "Protection Plan" all these years adds up to a lotta money for nothing!  

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
If you have the protectionnplan, theybwill replace the receiver with a like model, at most $10. There should only be an upgrade fee if you upgrade against what they are offering.

DISH Employee

Any leased equipment is covered by DISH. The only charge you might encounter is a shipping fee of $15. If you have the DISH Protect Plan, there is no cost to replace a receiver or shipping. Here is a link that will give you more details on the benefits of the plan: https://www.mydish.com/dish-protect. 

qbob300, if you have any other questions, please reach out to us in a private message, so we can review your account further to check how we can get you a replacement sent out at no cost since you mentioned you have the DISH Protect Plan on the account. 

qbob300
Character Actor

Can you tell me why I keep sending private messeges, (2 different messeges, 2 different employees) and yet I only get responses on here from Dish Employees? Now, I will try again to get my problem resolved by calling AGAIN and maybe I can get the same answer twice, since I have recieved 4 different answers...maybe one will match!  

pwh2210
Extra

YES  we have same problem plus 7 stations removed from dish that we used to pay for