Channel Selection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Selection

sisterpine
Extra

Hello, I have flex pack with local channels and it runs about 76.00 per month here in Arizona.  My concern is this:  I only watch a total of 13 channels out of the mass of channels I am presented with.    So that comes to 7.00 per channel per month for maybe a total of 60 hours of television watching not including the 11.00 i pay for the four local channels per month.  I know Dish network has to pay all of these stations to carry their channels and that cost plus others gets passed on to customers.  I understand that.  What I do not understand is why I am paying for many many many channels I have never nor will ever use?  When on retirement income these bills get tough.  There must be another way.  I have checked into getting an rooftop antenna but we are more than 75 miles from our local station signals even so that won't work either.  Apparently not watching much television gives me lots of time to write about my unhappiness at the situation LOL.  I do wish these mega companies would do a better job for those of us who have limited income and do not live on the sofa!

Tags (2)
4 Replies

Re: Channel Selection

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Channel owners contractually obligate their channels in specific packages. From the sounds of it, however, you also have some equipment costs in there.

sisterpine
Extra

Well that is some information I did not know!  So if I get you correctly, you are saying that when I want to have have TNT on my set up I must also pay for the dozen or more crap channels they have been able to get folks to put programs on-that the boss says must be sold only as a package. 

Besides that being a crappy customer service issue it is also a crappy DISH issue who can turn channels on and off at the touch of a key.  Then give me a certain foot ball game for a few hours but not just TNT out of the mess of big tnt programs.

Well, I got my question answered and I suspect that is what I really wanted - to know why the provider would do such a thing.  I guess now it is tiime for me to find another way to watch only those stations that I care to partake of....maybe there is something on the i-net that will let me subscribe only to those stations and pipe them to my TV.  Thanks for your assistance

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Don't blame Dish, it's the same way Direct and all other pay tv companies work (& always have). The online streaming services also require you to subscribe to a package of channels.  There is no "a la carte" tv service to get just what you want.  Flex is one of the cheaper options, but like Chad said, you also pay for a dvr and receiver(s) so that brings the price up.  

sisterpine
Extra

My bad!  Was not blaming DISH was blaming the system WE helped create.  I realize all are the same that is why it is so frustrating.  I do wish some sort of antenna would work from my farm but alas, none do.  Signals are too far away.  So I will look at alternatives...I do get internet via our local phone company and thankfully it is at least faster than dial up!  Who knows maybe I will decide to wean my family (they will fight mightedly) of television all together.  Thank you for your response.