Channel Re-negotiation: Equal Blame

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Re-negotiation: Equal Blame

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi. I read with much interest all the comments concerning the possibilities that many DISH subscribers may be denied some of their locals. I, too, am faced with the prospect of being denied access to my Gray Broadcasting Company locals. That would be Fox and CBS. Those locals used to be owned by Withers Broadcasting. Now they are Gray Company properties and we are going to get a nice "Welcome To Gray Broadcasting" gift of aggravation and denial. But the blame is to be shared by both DISH and Gray in my case, DISH and different local station owners in other cases. And what they are fighting over, with subscribers in the middle is probably just a few pennies per subscriber. Remember the big dust - up between DIRECTV and The Weather Channel a couple of years ago was just over 3 or 4 cents per subscriber. Are these pennies worth the aggravation to everyone? Thank you.
5 Replies

Re: Channel Re-negotiation: Equal Blame

stile99
Cinematographer
wvricky2 wrote:
Are these pennies worth the aggravation to everyone? Thank you.

1 Pennies add up. [url:3nqbprvh]http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.doubling.pennies.html[/url:3nqbprvh]

2 You think Gray is asking for pennies, but you have no source for how much they are seeking.

3 It's funny you use the DirecTV/Weather Channel case as a reference. The Weather Channel actually admitted guilt for that, made changes, and apologized to viewers for the disruption.

[url:3nqbprvh]http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/08/news/companies/directv-weather-channel/[/url:3nqbprvh]

[url:3nqbprvh]http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/weather-channel-agrees-to-alter-program-lineup-to-return-to-directv-1201154262/[/url:3nqbprvh]

And as you can see, it was 3-4 times your estimate of 3-4 pennies.

Community Manager
Community Manager
DISH and Gray Television have reached a deal in principle for continued carriage of their channels

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The deal with the weather channel was because of the programming. DTV essentially said "more weather less reality" and eventually TWC agreed. Price did play the smallest of factors.

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi, Chadt4141 and stile99. As you can see, I, like most everyone at one time or another, comment or express opinions, occasionally, without all the facts. Why do we do it? Beats me. Maybe it is because we think we HAVE to be right because it seems "in the ballpark" of logic and reasoning. That certainly does not make it factual. I did learn just last night that Gray had reached an agreement with DISH. Thank you.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
Let's hope that maybe the new member appointed to the FCC today can do something about the retransmission fees that broadcasters get from cable/sat companies. You know, those same signals sent OTA received on an antenna for free.