Change local Channel Provider

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change local Channel Provider

Railroader
Extra
How do I go about changing my local channel provider? I live 1/4 of a mile from being in the zip code that has the locals that I want, I am now assigned to Joplin, Pittsburg ks, which are cities that I will never go to, we do all our shopping in wichita Ks because it is closer for us. All out severe weather comes from the west, (Wichita) so we want wichita weather reports. and news. This is Nuts. Can I change my zip code to a nearby location that gets Wichita locals?
6 Replies

Re: Change local Channel Provider

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Locals are decided based on your physical address, and is enforced by the FCC. Dish cannot knowingly give you the wrong locals. You can possibly try an OTA and feed it through your Dish service.

Railroader
Extra
Still Nuts! Just because it's the law, doesn't mean it's right!

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
It may not be "right" in your opinion, but do you really expect Dish to knowingly break the law for you?

DISH Employee
Railroader wrote:
Still Nuts! Just because it's the law, doesn't mean it's right!

Laws can be changed.

Tell Congress to revisit the outdated laws that govern this unfair process and allow channel owners to use blackouts to extract unreasonably high fees. Visit AmericanTelevisionAlliance.org and take action.

Railroader
Extra
I have written to my legislators and the FCC even filed comments, too numerous to mention, never ever received a reply and now with Trump's
Anti-consumer , new chairman, I don't see any hope for change.
BTW I live in Kansas, a Diehard Republican State, so I don't have any hope for a solution as their current agenda is insuring big business make a much money as possible. I predict that some of the voters will change their opinion in the not so distant future.

stile99
Cinematographer
Railroader wrote:
I have written to my legislators and the FCC even filed comments, too numerous to mention, never ever received a reply and now with Trump's
Anti-consumer , new chairman, I don't see any hope for change.

I actually agree with you 100%, the new guy Ajit is a complete...well, I can't use the language I want to use here, so insert your own as you read this.

However, how soon we forget. When he first got the job, while maybe not quite as bad, Tom Wheeler was a total (insert language here) as well. He completely hated the concept of net neutrality, and was personally responsible for the whole "toll lane on the information superhighway" thing. In fact, his "internet fast lane" actually PASSED the FCC and went up for public discussion.

That public discussion did not go well, with citizens as well as internet companies demanding he either step down or be removed. Then-President Obama made comments supporting net neutrality and good old Tommy, not being an idiot, saw the way the wind was blowing and decided he'd better change course. Something that NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED if people hadn't spoken up.