Cant get Local HD channels - has anything changed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get Local HD channels - has anything changed?

dish1303
Character Actor
We have had dish for about 4 years now here in the philadelphia area.

When the tech's originally 'pointed' our dish, they said we would get all HD channels except for local channels.

They said there was no line of sight from the dish to the correct satellite for HD locals.

We have had to live with SD local channels for the last 4 years.

Just wanted to see if anything has possibly changed with the satellites or which satellites have HD locals to see if we can finally get local HD channels.

Is there a way to tell if we can now receive them? Just hoping something has changed in 4 years....

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jeff
9 Replies

Re: Cant get Local HD channels - has anything changed?

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
You can get local channels with an antenna if you can install one. Not only will the prime channels be uncompressed HD but you will also receive all sub channels that dish does not carry. You would need a separate cable from the antenna to the TV 'ant in' jack. Use TV remote 'input' to change from HDMI1 to TV when you want to watch locals.

dish1303
Character Actor
thanks for that tip! I may have to try that, but I thought you could also run the antenna thru the hopper? so the HD local channels you get with the antenna can be recorded and show up on the guide?

Any advice there appreciated.

Would also like to see if I can get the HD locals I am paying for with Dish and this satellite question?

Would techs have to come out to check my dish orientation again?

I assume nothing has changed with the satellites and which ones carry the local HD feed in the last 4 years?

DISH Employee
You would need to have a USB OTA module(tuner). You would connect your antenna into this module, and then the module to the hopper. What is your zip code, and what orbital locations are you showing that you have?

dish1303
Character Actor
Our zip code is 08053

How do I tell what orbital locations I have?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
dish1303 wrote:
Our zip code is 08053

How do I tell what orbital locations I have?

Press menu 3 times, and go down to dish. Then click on check switch. It will tell you your orbital. They are 110/119/129 or 72/61.5

dish1303
Character Actor
pressing menu 3 times does nothing. It takes me to a 'call dish' screen for billing

I have a hopper with sling, perhaps pressing menu 3 times is for newer systems?

DISH Employee
I do show you should get HD locals and what I want to do for you is check the account to see why you're not getting them. Please PM me with the phone number to see what Arc you have (Western or Eastern).

dish1303
Character Actor
when the techs installed the dish years ago, they said our building was blocking the specific satellite used for local HD channels.

They told us we would get everything else in HD, just not locals because of this.

I assume our physical dish cannot 'see' the necessary satellite.

Was just wondering if any of the HD locals are carried by a different satellite as opposed to 4 years ago...

DISH Employee
In looking at the locals for HD you will need the 61.5 to get the locals. With an OTA Antenna & Module, you will be able to get them in HD on the sub-channel.