Can't figure out flex pack

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out flex pack

brookwood
Extra
I have been a dish customer since 1999, and but I am frustrated with the packages and prices.

I don't want sports, including ESPN. I am mostly interested in conservative news, the discovery and science channels and non premium movie channels, in that order,

It seems I can't get the channels I want without subscribing to the top 250 but that gives me tons of very expensive channels like ESPN, sports and Disney, that I have no interest in.

Is there a flex pack for me?
10 Replies

Re: Can't figure out flex pack

Community Manager
Community Manager
The Flex Pack might be an option for you. Check out the package here: https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack

brookwood
Extra
I don't see where there is a flex package for the discovery and science channels

Discovery is included in the Flex Pack. Science is not nor is it available in any of the channel packs that can be added
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

DISH Employee
The Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and History channel are included on the basic Flex Pack channels. They Kids Pack would give you Animal Planet. We do not have a specific Science package for the Flex Pack, although I will pass that along as a suggestion.

wazoo1492
Extra
I too would like a flex pack with EDUCATIONAL and documentary channels. Discovery, unfortunately, is no longer such, it's become mostly reality show type programming, as History channel has become too. Dish used to have a couple of documentary channels that have gone the way of the dodo. I also miss the Chiller channel. We've had DISH since 2003 and the reasons we got it are almost gone now.

The monthly fee has gone up and most of the channels I liked are gone or have dumbed down their programming. I feel like I'm paying for three channels I like (Science, Smithsonian, Nat Geo Wild) and at last count 32 (THIRTY-TWO!!!!) home shopping channels! WHY am I paying over $100 a month for America's Top 250 for THIRTY-TWO shopping channels and the channels I actually like I can count on one hand?

The flex packs aren't good enough. You're competing these days with Roku and similar devices where people can cherry pick programming to their individual tastes. Unless you start offering a la carte packages you will continue to lose customers.

The only reason we still have DISH is because we want local programming for inclement weather. But we could just get a radio for that. I'm afraid if something doesn't change we'll be dropping your service come summer.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Unfortunately commercial channels either need viewers with good demographics, or they need to change or cease to exist. In the past, content providers have been using their clout as the owners of many channels to force TV providers like Dish to buy all or none of their products. Since Dish etc. have been pushing back, they've been eliminating poor performers and/or making them pay their own way by getting higher carriage fees from Dish etc. (Which Dish also pushes back on.) Unfortunately, it sounds like much of what you watch falls under this general category of poorly performing channels. I would guess that nearly all documentaries plus "chiller" makes you a fairly rare audience. That said, roku might be a good choice for you. I think it's full of documentaries and old horror movies. A lot of this material has expired copyrights or is at least very inexpensive. However, some of the roku channels have a lot of unskippable commercials so I find it hard to watch in many cases.

Shopping channels generally pay to get carried as opposed to stuff that you want to see which Dish pays for. (And therefore you do.) 32 shopping channels? Wow - I had no idea - but I guess I don't really care either. Do you have a DVR? I find that with a DVR even AT 120 provides more stuff than I have time to watch. I suspect that even if I went to the flex pack with no additions that would still be true.

As for weather have you checked out the computer and phone apps???? I’d much rather look at the NOAA weather app on my phone than wait for a TV show to say something. And the weather radar in the app lets me know when to dodge rain with accuracy down to a few minutes!

screenersam
Character Actor
apparently flex does not offer NFL Network, or Turner Classic Movies, on any of its packages.

same low-value channels as in the other low-value packs.

if Direct TV ever does a la carte I'm gone.

DISH Employee
screenersam wrote:
apparently flex does not offer NFL Network, or Turner Classic Movies, on any of its packages.

same low-value channels as in the other low-value packs.

if Direct TV ever does a la carte I'm gone.

DISH is leader in package variety and affordability and yes you can enjoy the Turner Classic Movies on the Flex Pack for only $34.99 . Here is the link to review available channels in the plan here: https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack

watsxn
Extra
The Flex plan as far I can tell isn't being discontinued. TCM is available with it, here is a link. https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack -=) Hope this helps.