CBS Network lockout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBS Network lockout

DoyleBur
Extra

It is disturbing that Dish Network is once again in negotiations with a television network - CBS this go around. When will this stuff end...last year it was NBC. My wife and I have a computer-based streaming option that we WILL employ if CBS gets blocked. That will mean missing out on recording options but oh well. It seems like Dish is no longer working for its customers and instead focusing on profit margins for the company. If there are Dish representatives who monitor this forum, I encourage you to express my views to upper management. Again, if CBS goes away so does my relationship/business with Dish. In different states I have been a consistent customer for over 20 years and really am starting to feel "taken". Dish, please listen as I assume other customers may feel as I do. You are going to loose profits and I strongly believe the technology is changing to the point that cable companies will need to step-up and look at new approaches to providing television to its customers. Please settle this dispute.

68 Replies

Re: CBS Dispute

Negotiations are standard in the pay TV industry and we don’t understand why CBS has chosen to involve our customers. Call CBS Corporation at 212-975-4321 and demand that they stop these antics and focus on getting a deal done.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

hddn
Visual Engineer
Have you looked up Dish's profit margins? They don't look all that high to me. Low enough that they can't just absorb arbitrary and continuous increases from all content providers without passing them along. And if you look around this forum, you'll see that many people complain each time they pass them along.

Personally, I think Dish does a reasonable job of compromising between the "I'll pay anything for TV - just agree to any price!" crowd and the "My TV is already too expensive!" crowd.

I believe this is why Dish has started to more heavily advertise their OTA adapters. The local stations haven't figured out how to charge the viewers for over the air reception. I think once enough people get their OTA adapters, Dish will just pass along any price on the local stations fee, and suggest that cost-constrained viewers use OTA.

Please figure out this negotiation. If our local CW31 is not renewed, I will cancel Dish.

stile99
Cinematographer
officersunflower wrote:
Please figure out this negotiation. If our local CW31 is not renewed, I will cancel Dish.

CW31 plays the same game with every provider. You have nowhere to go.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
The FCC requires that any entity that wants a broadcast license, they must broadcast it OTA a reasonable distance that people with antenna can receive the signal free of charge. But they have figured a way to charge people for their 'free' signal in that if the signal goes through a wire or received by a dish, they can charge a 'redistribution' fee.
Before the days of cable and satellites, broadcasters paid for operation costs having advertisers [commercials] So now they not only get advertisers to pay, they also get viewers to pay.
If broadcasters could find a loop hole in the FCC rules to charge 'cord cutters',[antenna only] they would.

CBS Network lockout

bilekrick
Character Actor
I've read in my local Chicago newspaper that Dish Network has until Thursday Nov23 to come to an agreement for a new contract with the CBS television network.
Does this mean that Dish customers can expect a loss of their local CBS station on Dish Network?

Re: CBS Network lockout

stile99
Cinematographer
The quick answer, no.

The slightly longer answer, it is only a risk in certain areas.

The complete answer, the station(s) will go dark ONLY in the event CBS wants them to.

Samlaf
Extra
DISH has had problems with everyone. Over 400 stations since 2013. IF WE LOSE CBS, WE WILL IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO DIRECT TV!

stile99
Cinematographer
Samlaf wrote:
DISH has had problems with everyone. Over 400 stations since 2013. IF WE LOSE CBS, WE WILL IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO DIRECT TV!

Good luck with that.

[url:3gd8skiq]http://tvonmyside.com/index.php/past-dispute-list[/url:3gd8skiq]

[url:3gd8skiq]https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/08/31/t-u-verse-directv-subscribers-could-lose-wthr/619693001/[/url:3gd8skiq]

[url:3gd8skiq]http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/hearst-stations-pulled-dispute-directv/162099[/url:3gd8skiq]

There are literally hundreds more links.