CBS Network lockout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CBS Network lockout

Robop
Extra
A: Dish needs to plan well in advance to maintain programming. CBS IS HUGE!

B: I have been very happy with Dish over my years w/ Directtv. No watching your bill like a hawk. No arguing on raising fees over and over and over again! Just read Directv reviews.

Robop
Extra
Samlaf wrote:
DISH has had problems with everyone. Over 400 stations since 2013. IF WE LOSE CBS, WE WILL IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO DIRECT TV!

Beware! Read Dtv reviews. They are horrible, money sucking vampires

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
^^^^
If you want to see what money sucking vampires charge, take a look at the charges and fees added to a Frontier [fka Verizon] FIOS monthly bill. They even add a $1 'administration' fee.

ellenm
Extra
Dish points the finger at CBS and CBS points the finger at Dish. All I know is that I am not getting the service I am paying for!!!!

:evil:

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
Dish offered CBS a contract extension with a "true-up" clause that would have made CBS whole at the new rates when negotiations were completed. CBS refused, preferring instead to use their viewers as hostages in an attempt to force both higher fees and non-local channel bundling on Dish, despite the lower viewership of those channels. Dish did not "drop" the CBS owned channels and locals, CBS did that despite the public service requirements of their FCC licenses...

bb93red
Extra
I totally support Dish on this issue! In 2012 CBS brought in 250 million a year in rebroadcast fees. Now they boast that they bring in 2.5 Billion!!!!! That is on the back of cable/satellite subscribers. Enough already. I appreciate the Dish fights that networks over these ridiculous fees. I will be just fine without CBS.

crodrules
Costume Designer
CBS is back. 8-)
Highlighted

stile99
Cinematographer
crodrules wrote:
CBS is back. 8-)

Not surprising, they got what they really wanted. CBS wants the suckers who can't (or won't) understand that CBS was the guilty party here to froth at the mouth and blame Dish for the loss of the parade (the real parade was on a different channel) and football. "OMG YOU RUINED THANKSGIVING, I'M GOING TO SWITCH!!!!1111one"...but it's actually CBS who did.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Well that was short.

Re: CBS Dispute

Cycozar
Extra
d4g4m wrote:
The FCC requires that any entity that wants a broadcast license, they must broadcast it OTA a reasonable distance that people with antenna can receive the signal free of charge. But they have figured a way to charge people for their 'free' signal in that if the signal goes through a wire or received by a dish, they can charge a 'redistribution' fee.
Before the days of cable and satellites, broadcasters paid for operation costs having advertisers [commercials] So now they not only get advertisers to pay, they also get viewers to pay.
If broadcasters could find a loop hole in the FCC rules to charge 'cord cutters',[antenna only] they would.

ACTUALLY this isn't true.....first of all.....they are breaking the law by not providing us "local stations" free of charge anyhow....... :evil:
According to all the sites that give you antenna details like antennaweb.org and so on, my house is within a couple of miles from a tower; however, Dish REFUSED to send me a free antenna. They stated, "My area didn't have reception". I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area! OMG who are they kidding. Right after I s/w Susie in the Presidential office and quoted the below statement to her and told her I would contact the FCC....CBS returned in our area within 15 minutes. Coincidence? IDK - judge for yourself and see. Oh BTW feel free to Google the FCC laws and verify it yourself. They can NOT deny us "LOCAL CHANNELS" by law!! NEVER EVER EVER!!

Here's what the FCC law states:

Do what you say and say what you do! Also it is ILLEGAL according to the FCC! The law states: Consumers who subscribe to cable television often do so to obtain local broadcast signals which they otherwise would not be able to receive, or to obtain improved signals. Most subscribers to cable television systems do not or cannot maintain antennas to receive broadcast televisions services, do not have input selector switches to convert from a cable to antenna reception system or cannot otherwise receive broadcast cable television services. The regulatory system created by the Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984 was premised upon the continued existence of mandatory carriage obligations for cable systems, ensuring that local stations would be protected from anticompetitive conduct by cable systems.

Another section of the FCC Law states (from the FAQ):
What is an unreasonable expense for antenna installation for equipment?
Any requirement to pay a fee to a local authority for a permit to be allowed to install an antenna would be unreasonable because such permits are generally prohibited. It may also be unreasonable for a local government, community association or landlord to require a viewer to incur additional costs associated with installation. Things to consider in determining the reasonableness of ANY costs imposed include (1) the cost of the equipment and services and (2) whether there are similar requirements for comparable objects, such as air conditioning units or trash receptacles. For example, restrictions cannot require that expensive landscaping screen relatively unobtrusive DBS antennas. A requirement to paint an antenna so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted might be acceptable provided it will not interfere with reception or impose unreasonable costs.

****** Does this mean they can't charge installation fees?? Or is this only for rentals etc?