CBS Network lockout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CBS Network lockout

Chadt41411
Casting Director
That applies to landlords, local governments and HOAs. It does not apply to private or public companies such as a satellite provider. Dish has no requirement to offer free locals, as they incur a cost to retransmit. CBS, however, cannot charge you, the viewer, directly for the content. They can charge providers a fee to retransmit their signal, which is what you see here. Dish broke no laws, and “take one take all�, does not mean that they have to carry CBS. It only means that they have to reasonably negotiate for the channel when not a “must-carry�(the local does not get paid anything) designation.

Cycozar
Extra
If you read the FCC laws, they are required by the FCC law to provide us with ALL local channels and this is considered a local channel; therefore, they did break a law. Why did I get blocked? Is Dish scared of what I have to say?

Cycozar
Extra
Here's one link showing the "local stations" they are REQUIRED to carry for each city listed. Now IDK about your city, but in the DFW area these "local stations" are our ABC/NBC/CBS as well as others. Please feel free to look for yourself. I'm sure you'll probably read it differently than I did; however, after s/w the presidents office, she agreed I was right.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/re ... -companies

Re: CBS Dispute

stile99
Cinematographer
Cycozar wrote:
They can NOT deny us "LOCAL CHANNELS" by law!! NEVER EVER EVER!!

While the rest of your rant is obviously based on a misunderstanding of OTARD rules (paying someone to install an antenna is so obviously different than having to pay a permit for one that it's not even worth engaging), you're actually correct on this one. Dish can't. Period.

This is why people need to start realizing it is the broadcaster doing it, not the provider.

Furthermore, there is nothing anywhere that says Dish has to buy an antenna for you. And if you read the FCC rules (not laws) correctly (emphasis on the word correctly), the rest of your claims are complete hogwash. Do yourself a favor and read up on "must carry" vs "retransmission consent".

[url:fzxtamhs]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Must-carry[/url:fzxtamhs]

[url:fzxtamhs]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retransmission_consent[/url:fzxtamhs]

"[b:fzxtamhs]If a broadcaster elects retransmission consent, there is no obligation for the cable system to carry the signal.[/b:fzxtamhs]"

"[b:fzxtamhs]In the U.S., retransmission consent has often been chosen over must-carry by the major commercial television networks.[/b:fzxtamhs]"

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Cycozar wrote:
Here's one link showing the "local stations" they are REQUIRED to carry for each city listed. Now IDK about your city, but in the DFW area these "local stations" are our ABC/NBC/CBS as well as others. Please feel free to look for yourself. I'm sure you'll probably read it differently than I did; however, after s/w the presidents office, she agreed I was right.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/re ... -companies

Your link does not address the fact that a local channel must be carried. However if you read the consent retransmission agreement by the FCC, you’ll see that you’re barking up the wrong tree.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
https://www.fcc.gov/media/cable-carriag ... t-stations

Here you go. This spells it out clear as day. Straight from the FCC including that they cannot get involved.

Community Manager
Community Manager
[bSmiley Surprisedxn0gjj0][iSmiley Surprisedxn0gjj0]Thread has been locked since a deal was reached that returned owned and operated CBS channels.[/iSmiley Surprisedxn0gjj0][/bSmiley Surprisedxn0gjj0]

Re: CBS Access

yayasmith
Character Actor

I'm  getting tired of waiting to get CBS-that I paid extra for-and I'm  a patient  individual.

I have no option for over the air because of distance.

No CBS news. No daily show. No colbert.

This is criminal, inhumane punishment.

Make a deal!!! Mr. Dish!

Highlighted

Re: CBS Access

DISH Employee

Hi yayasmith. We want you to have the channels you enjoy as much as you do. I would be happy to check on the status of your CBS channel for you to see if there is any additional information available. Could you please send me a Private Message including the phone number and 4 digit PIN on your account so I may access your information?

nscrldykb
Extra

I agree there is know reason to do it.

@DoyleBur wrote:

It is disturbing that Dish Network is once again in negotiations with a television network - CBS this go around. When will this stuff end...last year it was NBC. My wife and I have a computer-based streaming option that we WILL employ if CBS gets blocked. That will mean missing out on recording options but oh well. It seems like Dish is no longer working for its customers and instead focusing on profit margins for the company. If there are Dish representatives who monitor this forum, I encourage you to express my views to upper management. Again, if CBS goes away so does my relationship/business with Dish. In different states I have been a consistent customer for over 20 years and really am starting to feel "taken". Dish, please listen as I assume other customers may feel as I do. You are going to loose profits and I strongly believe the technology is changing to the point that cable companies will need to step-up and look at new approaches to providing television to its customers. Please settle this dispute.