Blackout of Hearst Stations

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackout of Hearst Stations

RickObe
Visual Engineer
I'm wondering... during this blackout of Hearst Television stations in certain markets... is it possible for Dish to temporarily supply an out-of-market local station of the same network (one that doesn't belong to Hearst) to those of us who are blacked out?

In my local area, it's the ABC network station that is blacked out. If Dish could provide a different market's non-Hearst-owned ABC station during the outage, then I would again have access to all the ABC network programming. And that's all I really care about. Loss of the local content (news, etc.) is not that big a deal to me.

Re: Blackout of Hearst Stations

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Might hook up an external antenna for local stations whist DISH goes thru all of this. :?

stile99
Cinematographer
This has already been discussed, and is still illegal.

[url:2b5xt7hv]https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20850[/url:2b5xt7hv]

That said, I agree with the idea behind this. If Congress made one small change: 'you can black out YOUR crap, but must still pass through the network signal', that alone would end these bullying tactics (which is why Hearst et al petitioned Congress to make it illegal) because the vast majority of people think the same way. Local news/weather? Assuming just the 'big four' you have three other options available. It's the network programming people want. As has been said again and again and again, it's not a coincidence that this is happening during the premiere of some new shows and during basketball.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Still can connect a external antenna to a TV and get local channels. Just have to change the input on the TV from DISH to the RG6 input. ;) It's just a convenience having DISH support local channels, when there not in negotiations with the carriers. :?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Not true, many locations cannot get OTA locals with an antenna, satellite or cable is their only option.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
Not true, many locations cannot get OTA locals with an antenna, satellite or cable is their only option.

For sure ..... having locals on satellite is a LOT more than "convenience" - it's either satellite or zip for many. And for many others it's a borderline signal.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Understand that maybe in rural areas yes, hard to get local TV signals. Should be more available near more metro populated areas though. This again is a alternative suggestion for those with the ability to get local channels while DISH and the carriers sort this all out.

DISH Employee
The local channels are distributed to you from us, DISH. We purchase these channels from Network owners. They draw the boundaries for the designated market locals to be broadcasted. The FCC governs this. Therefore, we are required to distribute the locals that a customer does geographically qualifies for and cannot give other locals from other areas.