4 CW Channels and not one in HD

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 CW Channels and not one in HD

otto38dd
Character Actor
I have 4 CW channels from around the country including KTLA in Los Angeles. I am in Palm Springs and my local CW channel is not in HD either as mentioned in previous posts. Since I cannot get my local channel in HD, why can I not get any of the other CW channels like WPIX or KTLA, both of which are offered in HD in their markets?
Tags (2)
19 Replies

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Superstations are grandfathered in and are only SD. They are not being added to the CONUS stream, and once removed, cannot be added back.

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
Your local CW channel would be 1080 HD if you used an antenna and they might even have a sub-channel as well.
In the Tampa viewing area, WTOG channel 44-1 is CW and they also carry 'Decades' channel 44-2

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

SpartyGuy
Extra
I have to say a longtime DISH subscriber this is just flat out unacceptable. I live in Grand Rapids, MI area and have the same issue. How a major network like CW is not available in HD is beyond me. My kids also want Disney XD in HD. For crying out loud, i pay over $150/mo on my DISH bill. Customer Svc can quote, superstations, regulations, and this or that being grandfathered...but what it comes down to is them not serving your customer...ie ME. At some point customers, will just decide that we can stream most of the programming we want elsewhere and to heck with the major cable companies and satellite providers. WAKE UP DISH!!!

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

Chadt41411
Casting Director
SpartyGuy wrote:
I have to say a longtime DISH subscriber this is just flat out unacceptable. I live in Grand Rapids, MI area and have the same issue. How a major network like CW is not available in HD is beyond me. My kids also want Disney XD in HD. For crying out loud, i pay over $150/mo on my DISH bill. Customer Svc can quote, superstations, regulations, and this or that being grandfathered...but what it comes down to is them not serving your customer...ie ME. At some point customers, will just decide that we can stream most of the programming we want elsewhere and to heck with the major cable companies and satellite providers. WAKE UP DISH!!!


A few things. One, a customer service didn't say that. Another customer did. Read my signature. Secondly, CW is not a major channel, and is in HD in some parts of the country. Thirdly, this was to address the number of CWs the OP has, and the reason they are not HD. Superstations, which a very few minority have at this time, as they stopped offering them in 2012, and as stated are outside of market are on CONUS beams, not Spot Beams like all other locals(including the normal CW's). Considering this is not a service Dish offers anymore, anyone that has it is grandfathered in, and if they change that, there is no getting them back.
Lastly, Disney XD. It is available on Dish in HD. You can download the content free on demand. I also believe you get access to the free streaming app for Disney. Since already comfortable with streaming, it would make sense to use that with your Dish login. Disney charges for both their SD and their HD content. That is why it's rarely in HD. Considering the number one complaint about paytv is the cost, you're wanting them to raise costs for something you already have access to currently.

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

SpartyGuy
Extra
Chadt4141 wrote:
A few things. One, a customer service didn't say that. Another customer did. Read my signature. Secondly, CW is not a major channel, and is in HD in some parts of the country. Thirdly, this was to address the number of CWs the OP has, and the reason they are not HD. Superstations, which a very few minority have at this time, as they stopped offering them in 2012, and as stated are outside of market are on CONUS beams, not Spot Beams like all other locals(including the normal CW's). Considering this is not a service Dish offers anymore, anyone that has it is grandfathered in, and if they change that, there is no getting them back.
Lastly, Disney XD. It is available on Dish in HD. You can download the content free on demand. I also believe you get access to the free streaming app for Disney. Since already comfortable with streaming, it would make sense to use that with your Dish login. Disney charges for both their SD and their HD content. That is why it's rarely in HD. Considering the number one complaint about paytv is the cost, you're wanting them to raise costs for something you already have access to currently.



A few things...Chadt4141...you are hilarious. If you are not a Customer Svc rep, then you are the biggest DISH apologist I've ever seen. You can throw out all the technical jargon you want and try and sound as smart as you think you are. What I'm saying is...I'm the CUSTOMER...this has been a common complaint to DISH over the years. I don't care how they do it, figure it out. It's 2018 not 2008, that fact that all my programming isn't already in HD is ridiculous...4K is the next wave, should we wait 10 years for the first all 4K channel. I like DISH, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying WE THE CUSTOMER deserve more for what we pay. CW needs to be in HD, get it done please. And if i wanted to stream Disney XD I wouldn't be paying for satellite service, I want it on my guide in HD. Thankyou.

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

hddn
Visual Engineer

Yeah that's pretty much what people get when they try to explain stuff. "Apologist" and all that. I'm glad though that there are at least a few people willing to explain what's going on customer to customer, so I find these reactions to be kind of sad.

The superstations probably aren't going to change - since they don't even offer that package anymore.

As for your local CW not being HD. That could be a number of things, including the station wanting more money for the HD version. They have to evaluate stuff like that relative to demand. (Not that I'm saying you can't wish or suggest otherwise.)

Personally, all my channels have been HD since around 2008. That's because I don't watch any channels that are not HD!

 

That's just my preference. But like you and your local CW situation, my preference may or may not be common enough for Dish and/or remaining SD channels to react. They all have their own business situations to deal with as well.

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

otto38dd
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
A few things. One, a customer service didn't say that. Another customer did. Read my signature. Secondly, CW is not a major channel, and is in HD in some parts of the country. Thirdly, this was to address the number of CWs the OP has, and the reason they are not HD. Superstations, which a very few minority have at this time, as they stopped offering them in 2012, and as stated are outside of market are on CONUS beams, not Spot Beams like all other locals(including the normal CW's). Considering this is not a service Dish offers anymore, anyone that has it is grandfathered in, and if they change that, there is no getting them back.
Lastly, Disney XD. It is available on Dish in HD. You can download the content free on demand. I also believe you get access to the free streaming app for Disney. Since already comfortable with streaming, it would make sense to use that with your Dish login. Disney charges for both their SD and their HD content. That is why it's rarely in HD. Considering the number one complaint about paytv is the cost, you're wanting them to raise costs for something you already have access to currently.



I would appreciate if you can show us where Dish offers Disney XD in HD. Have had 722, Hopper/Sling and now Hopper3. None show Disney XD available on any Guide.

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Vod

Re: 4 CW Channels and not one in HD

otto38dd
Character Actor
hddn wrote:

Yeah that's pretty much what people get when they try to explain stuff. "Apologist" and all that. I'm glad though that there are at least a few people willing to explain what's going on customer to customer, so I find these reactions to be kind of sad.

The superstations probably aren't going to change - since they don't even offer that package anymore.

As for your local CW not being HD. That could be a number of things, including the station wanting more money for the HD version. They have to evaluate stuff like that relative to demand. (Not that I'm saying you can't wish or suggest otherwise.)

Personally, all my channels have been HD since around 2008. That's because I don't watch any channels that are not HD! 

 

That's just my preference. But like you and your local CW situation, my preference may or may not be common enough for Dish and/or remaining SD channels to react. They all have their own business situations to deal with as well.



I live in Palm Springs. Another thread here discusses that my CW station actually uploads HD to Dish. Dish chooses to offer the local channel (not Superstation) only in SD. Funny thing is the CW station is owned by the same company that owns the ABC, CBS and FOX stations here all offered as local HD channels. Does Dish have it out for CW?