paying for local channels

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying for local channels

deedee1060
Extra
Could someone tell me why we are paying an extra $10.00 a month for locals now.I went into my account and to my surprise my bill had increased.any information would be appreciated..been a dish customer since 2014 and locals were included for free back then.what has changed?
13 Replies

Re: paying for local channels

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What you're seeing is the locals just being broken out. Whether they were broken out or not, your price would be the exact same after January.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Starting 01/17/17, we will separate the charges of your local channels out from your core programming package, and it will display as a $10.00 charge. To partially offset this change, we have reduced your core programming package charge by $5.00 per month.

There is a net increase of $5.

You’ve always paid for local channels, but previously they were included in the programming package price. We have broken out the price of your locals so you can see the impact of the rising charges demanded by your local channel owners.

DizoAZ
Extra
This will be the 2nd $5 price hike on my account in the last 12 months, this time supposedly for Local channels and the "rising cost". This looks like a scheme for Dish to make more money off us and blame someone else. Why is the OTA USB Dongle for the Hopper no longer available and being sold by 3rd party sellers for over $100. Why is Dish forcing it's customers to buy the Local channels if we have OTA antenna's that can tune the locals, why aren't they making it an option to drop locals? Dish, I will be dropping service after my promotional credits run out and go to DirecTV where I can get promo's for 12-24 months, then I'll switch to my local cable company after to take advantage of their promos. Hiking the price on your customers every 6 months won't keep us around!

Jsc0811
Extra
Chris S. wrote:
Starting 01/17/17, we will separate the charges of your local channels out from your core programming package, and it will display as a $10.00 charge. To partially offset this change, we have reduced your core programming package charge by $5.00 per month.

You’ve always paid for local channels, but previously they were included in the programming package price. We have broken out the price of your locals so you can see the impact of the rising charges demanded by your local channel owners.

I got something in the mail talking about this and how they are giving us 2 free gifts for our troubles. The first being weekend movie packs and the other you have to log in and redeem. Supposedly clicking on a "gift banner". If you type in the mydish.com/gift it's there but you have to log in. That's when it's gone. It's also not in the app like it says. I have looked everywhere all day today for it!

stile99
Cinematographer
Jsc0811 wrote:
Chris S. wrote:

I got something in the mail talking about this and how they are giving us 2 free gifts for our troubles. The first being weekend movie packs and the other you have to log in and redeem. Supposedly clicking on a "gift banner". If you type in the mydish.com/gift it's there but you have to log in. That's when it's gone. It's also not in the app like it says. I have looked everywhere all day today for it!

Same here. I was hoping it would be one of the new OTA dongles, because there is no way I'm paying sixty bucks for it.

I suspect, but have no way to prove, that if you are under a price lock guarantee so your price doesn't go up, you don't get the gift. Which since it was probably a PPV certificate and I didn't even bother to use the last one they gave me, I'm fine if I don't get another one.

kgp62
Character Actor
Chris S. wrote:

WHY? I was told they could remove my local line up of channels years ago on the same receivers I still own today but now they bill me for locals???
False and misleading information from a represenative, I paid for a lifetime one time fee of $100 around 7 years ago and now I am being billed for my locals. This company is misrepresenting it's billing.
I have an OTA antenna and receiver and no longer need the satellite to beam my locals but am told I can't remove the billing for my locals. This is bad customer service and will cost them customer retention. I personally will not recommend DISH to Anyone ever again. The future is clear grab as much of the customers money before streaming services crush thier business.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You can switch to the Flex Pack and remove your locals.

kgp62
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
You can switch to the Flex Pack and remove your locals.

Why should I have to remove my sports channels to drop locals with the Flex package. Not a good choice Chad.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
So then you are saying it is worth it?