Unethical business practice

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unethical business practice

Razberry910
Extra
So my old receiver was crapping out dish said we could upgrade to a hopper for $5 a month. I talked to my wife figured what the heck our old 612 box was a crap sandwich so I called dish back setup the install(4 hours ago). The tech mentioned a 24 month contract at the end of the install and thought it was odd I had not been notified about the contract. Anyway I decline signing the 2 year contract the tech gets me in touch with customer service buckle up here's were it gets fun. I explain the issue and was told with any upgrade or addition it's a 24 month contract I said that's fine but I as a person entering the contract should be notified. Customer service said I reviewed the contract. I asked how? Email? Text? Mail? Costumer service said the phone rep put it in his notes. At this point im getting hot. The rep I spoke with was female so I don't know how she put it in his notes. Customer service back peddles that they refer to everyone as him/he/male. The poor tech is still at my house during the awkward call and I'm on his phone. I ask the dish phone rep to add to my notes that I'm disputing the contract and we can talk in circles a night but my kid needs to go to bed and the poor tech probably wants to go home to his family.

I'll call back Monday has anyone else fought this fight? Results? Advice?

Also the hopper I got is a hopper2. I feel if I sigh up for 2 years I should be treated as a new costumer with a hopper3 and one of those amazon echoes things throw it that they offer to new costumers.
7 Replies

Re: Unethical business practice

Community Manager
Community Manager
Can you send us a private message with your account number and four digit pin?

They just did something similar with me. Im not happy. You can read my post on here. I feel I was forced into hopper 3 to have any service at all and for over a month of not complete service before the switch they only credited me for 2.weeks. And 1 pay per view. Then never did it until I called back a few days ago and the credit was 4.00 less than what agreed.
I've been a customer for yrs and never had a complaint until now. The least they could do was issue more pay per views or something for my countless hours of trying to get my dish fixed and working.
Unethical business practise indeed.

TiffanyW
Extra
I just got off the phone with a rep. I have been trying for months to get them to correct their mistake. I ordered a hopper 3, the whole reason I went with dish, and they install a sling. They now want to charge me $150 to fix their error. Then I find out today that even though I have been with them 10 months my contract got renewed when I moved. Now I am on contract another 2 years. I was told by step at one of their stands at our state fair that they could charge me $50, $100 or $150 to upgrade. I ask why not $50 they say the rep lied and was just trying to make a sale (they told me to call and talk to customer service so I'm not sure what the gain would have been for the salesperson. I didn't even know their name.) So I call customer service today get passed to another rep who supposedly is higher up and they tell me to bad all we can do is charge you. I told them after being cheated, lied to, and according to them misinformed i am done with dish. He says he's not sure how I want him to help me and I say to right the wrong! Give me what I was originally supposed to get. He says he can do that...for $150. I said at this point is rather pay a couple hundred to get rid of them then pay $150 to what what I was supposed to get. He then asks me of it would be possible for me to just not record so much. Wow! No it's not possible. We work nights and record everything to watch at a later time. Buy I am.having trouble with only being able to record 3 at a time. He then tells me "well it's all about perspective. Maybe you shouldn't record and watch so much. Maybe you should downsize". Again WOW. I said conversation over goodbye. Who are they to tell me what I should be doing. It's none of their business. Talk about unethical!! I'm fuming mad right now and I just want dish gone!

tresmang3
Extra
I moved into a new residence and called for Dish to come and install a new satellite dish so I could continue with my obligation of honoring my contract. The tech showed up completely unprepared(no ladder to reach the roof) and placed my Dish on a tripod in the backyard. The Association didn't like the location and asked for it to be mounted on the building out of view. I called Dish and was told I needed to pay for their Tech's unpreparedness or buy insurance to cover the costs. I told them EXPLICITLY that I didn't want or deserve any NEW charges to my bill. To the rep that meant to charge me for the Protect Silver(?whatever the hell that is) and my next bill reflected a charge of this. I called back very upset and asked them to cancel this Silver Protect and credit my account. To them that meant go ahead and keep charging me for this add-on which they did this month. I called back today to have this once again removed and to set up an appointment to have the Dish CORRECTLY installed and they told me I needed to buy insurance or be charged $100.00 for the tech to come out and do the job the CORRECT way. I have long supported Dish TV over Cox and Direct TV, however my feelings are changing quickly and I am now following a legal course to cancel my subscription and file a Class Action vs. Dish TV for breach of contract. Btw, the new programming and look has completely slowed down the loading process for DVR recordings as well as the guide and recording random shows without being set up! Also a breach of contract. Beware to all of you that it seems that it is SOP for DIsh TV to place add-ons to your account without your direct permission. Check your bills and if you feel the same way offer me your name and address and I will add you to the Class action suit I am filing.

stile99
Cinematographer
The fact is, you signed off on the install, AND you don't have the right to go to court, let alone file a class action.

You can huff and you can puff, but it won't change things.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Every customer has an arbitration clause. Also, as mentioned, when you signed the technicians work order, you signed that you agreed with the install to your satisfaction. Since you own the antenna and cabling, and that is an acceptable standard of installation, there is not much of an argument.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Sorry, but the way I read your complaint, you agreed with the tech on where to put the dish and later a third party expressed displeasure and somehow this is supposed to be Dish's fault. Homeowner's associations solve some problems and cause others. One of the problems they most frequently cause is making homeowners spend more money. In theory that's supposed to protect your investment by keeping values high - hopefully high enough to make up for all the money they made you pay along the way.