Suspended account for summer and lost all my discounts Poor

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended account for summer and lost all my discounts Poor

Glueman
Extra
I signed up with Dish 6 months ago, leaving Directv after 20 years. The reason for leaving Directv was the continued price increases. Dish had much better pricing for the initial 2 year guarantee , plus you could suspend your account every year for a maximum of 3 months. I have a summer home that we go to for 3 months, so this was perfect!! I had no idea that I would lose all my discounts and guarantees when I set this up initially, I'm not saying I wasn't told, I just do not recall being given this information ahead of time.
I am now paying 40+ dollars more per month than before I suspended the account. So I received 3 months of the discount and now I'm paying a higher price for the balance of 2 years. If you extend my contract for 3 months you should extend the discounts not eliminate them completely. I referred 2 families to dish and yes they signed up for service, but I am regretting this every day.
It would be cheaper for me to pay the cancellation fee to dish and go back to Directv!!! Plus Directv is willing to pay any fees. It seems like Directv wants my 125.00 a month more than Dish wants to keep me.
When I called Dish cust service they were rude and said I could cancel my service if I wanted to but they would offer me nothing.
This is NOT GOOD business practices.
3 Replies

Re: Suspended account for summer and lost all my discounts P

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Its very clearly laid out in the service agrsement. No credits are warranted, really.

We do disclose that any offers are forfeit if you place the account on Pause. We are sorry for any trouble caused.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

hddn
Visual Engineer
If you jump between providers to follow whatever the latest pitch may be, you have to follow rules carefully. Coming to an appropriate forum before running in to trouble can help too, as stuff like this is pretty well-known at this and other sat TV forums.

In any case, $40 more for 9 months, sounds like the amount you saved by pausing for 3 months, so it looks like a wash to me.

Whether or not its good business practice is hard to say. Pay TV providers give you those big discounts to get you to switch in the hope that you'll stay and they'll hopefully make some money on you later. If you're already ready to leave, you may not be the kind of customer that is good for the bottom line. Maybe DireTV got the easy money and from now on you're going to bounce from offer to offer? Hard for the companies to know in advance so they just take their best guesses.