cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probably the worst customer service ever

Diana613
Character Actor
Hello,
My name is Diana. Back in May 2014, I called Dish to set up service in my apartment. Everything was fine, service was great. Unfortunately a few months later, I had to leave that apartment and move somewhere else. I transferred my Dish service to the new apartment, however because of the direction my apt faces, the satellite could not get a signal. I had 2 different Dish techs come out and I had the same results...no signal.

I then spoke to a Dish rep on the phone, who told me about the Dish Pause option. Ever since November 2014, I have had my service paused. I have never paid a penny to have this service. I have every statement dating back 3 years and they have all had a $0 balance. About a month ago, I started getting charged. I called, spoke to a rep and she said that my Pause had ended the previous day and that why I received an email saying I owed money for last month. She said that because I called the next day, that amount would be credited and I wouldn't owe anything, and she was putting me on pause again.

Well today I received an email from Dish stating I still had a balance. I called again, and spoke to the rudest customer service rep. Instead of trying to help, he argued everything with me and accused me of "just not wanting to pay". I was furious and requested a supervisor. He said," why do you need a supervisor I already explained everything?". Needless to say, he put me on hold to get a supervisor, who ended up being worse then the rep I just spoke to. He was demeaning and also said "I mean obviously you just don't want to pay the cancellation fee so you're avoiding the issue so I'm cancelling your service". I told him that's not the case and that I just don't have a signal here, and he said he didn't believe me because a technician never put notes in my profile. I've never been treated this way EVER by any business. I've read countless reviews online about Dish networks customer service and it's mostly negative. I'm going to contact the better business bureau about this. I have all records of every single bill/statement since may 2014 and it shows that I've never had a balance. This supervisor says otherwise and that he would continue to charge me because that's what Dish has been doing all along, which is absolutely untrue. He canceled my service and said he is charging me $400 fee. I'm appalled by the treatment I've received. I will gladly speak to someone else about this situation. I'm not sure what account information is needed at this time but I would like someone to reach out to me about this matter.

Thank you
Diana
8 Replies

Re: Probably the worst customer service ever

DISH Employee
Diana, thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize if you felt at any moment the representatives were not professional. Our goal is to address, resolved your issue while providing each customer with the best possible experience.

Because we believe in transparency I want to make sure that I clarify the business policies about DISH Pause in a different way. The DISH Pause is $5.00 plus taxes per month. It is possible that you had a credit balance that allowed for us to take the $5 plus tax monthly payment from and/or a limited time courtesy credit was added to the account. That may be the reason why you did not see a bill from us previously. By pausing your account, any credits or offers currently on the account will be forfeited.

DISH permits customers to place the account from 3, 6 to max of 9 months pause per year. DISH will automatically restore your services after 3/6/9 months. If you choose to restore services prior to 3/6/9 months, you will need to call.

**If you are currently under contract, time spent on DISH Pause does not count towards the minimum length of time of your commitment. Once Dish service is restored, you will pay the then-current price for your package and equipment including the DVR fee, if applicable.

At this time, moving does not void the contract. It's based off your original installation.These changes in your situation are out of DISH control and it is customer responsibility to fulfill the required commitments. However, we do permit our customers to transfer their services to a friend, family or vacation home to fulfill the required length of time to avoid paying early cancellation fees.

If you would like to discuss your account further, please send me a private message with your phone number and four digit security PIN. Thank you.

Diana613
Character Actor
Here's the thing...I've put my service on pause I believe 3 or 4 times now, for 9 months at a time. I've always been issued a credit, and in 3 years, have never paid anything. Everytime I'm put on pause, I get a credit. If now all of a sudden, I lose the credit and have to pay $5, then fine. But I was accused of everything under the sun by a so called supervisor and he insisted on cancelling so he did. I had a $100 bill to pay, because I was off pause for a few hours before I called and had it put on again. I don't think in that period of less then 24 hours I should pay a full bill. The customer service rep agreed with me and issued a credit of $70, the rest she said will be credited on the next cycle. It wasn't, which is what prompted me to call only to be told I do owe the money because I had service for a few hours. WHAT??
Honestly just terrible customer service. I was grandfathered into a great monthly plan, which is why I have kept my service on pause for so long so I can hopefully get rid of the cable that is my only choice, and resume services with Dish. You have been great, thank you for your time addressing the situation. But for a company that has 90% negative reviews on the better business bureau, I would highly encourage the reps on the phone to be a little friendlier and accommodating. There are SO MANY other options these days when it comes to TV services and my thought would be that cable/dish complained would do their best to retain customers, rather then cancel their services.

stile99
Cinematographer
I honestly wish this was the first time I've seen someone game the system for years, and then when the gravy train finally derails, claim the person was 'rude', 'horrible', 'the worst'.

Unfortunately it isn't, and even more unfortunately I suspect it won't be the last.

Since it's not coming from Dish, I'm sure it will mean absolutely nothing coming from me, but if you received service you found unacceptable, I'm sorry that happened. But that said, the way I read your second post you've been playing this game for THREE YEARS, calling each time to extend that 9 month period, and somehow convincing the person to give you a credit as well. You had the bad luck to get a rep that wouldn't play the game, you escalated, the supervisor saw what has been happening and said nope, no more, game over. It really appears to me, based solely on your own testimony, that the only service you would have found acceptable is to continue ripping Dish off.

Diana613
Character Actor
I'm not sure why it would matter to you if it's 3 months, 3 years, 5 years etc. it's my contract, and I would have to pay the cancellation whether I end service after 1 day or 10 years later. Your insinuations are absolutely revolting. I pay 2.5 times more for a cable service that I have to have because of my location. It's not about the money. It's about the fact that I have the option, just like every single customer does, to put my service on pause. There is NOTHING stating that I can only have it for a certain time period. In fact, of that was the case, then they have would told me that in the beginning. The response from the Dish rep would have stated that as well, but again, nothing. I wanted to Keep the service because it is my right to, as it states in my contract. I was going to use it because, like I said, I have been grandfathered into a great deal. I don't even have Dish equipment, it's all mine that I have paid for. So again, not sure about this supposed gravy train or this game that I'm playing in your words. As I stayed, I haven't paid the $5 due to the credit I received and if you read the first sentence of my reply, you would know that I don't mind paying it if I don't have a credit anymore. So, again, I'm not sure how, like you stated, I'm "ripping Dish off" and "playing a game".

Diana613
Character Actor
And to be honest, judging by the amount of posts you have and how you seem to reply to many customer complaints, this whole "I don't work for Dish" thing doesn't seem so believable.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Ah the old: you disagree with me so you must be one of "them" thing.

Anyway, everything I can google up on Dish pause says up to 9 months a year and $5 a month. You say you've had 3 or 4 9 month pauses (somehow free!) so that seems to be 27 or 36 months of pause (normally $135 to $180 worth) during what seems to be only 36 months with Dish. It seems it would be good for everyone to just acknowledge that you're not highly motivated to move again to get Dish back. Which is fine, and I would say even "normal" - how many people are willing to move to change TV providers - especially among people who didn't even check that during their previous move? ;) However, Dish "Pause" wasn't meant to be an "I don't have to break my contract even if I never have service again" kind of feature. The whole idea of an ETF would be silly if you could just pause for free for an "indefinite" period that turns out to be "forever".

The good news is that since you've somehow never had to pay for pausing, you're no worse off than if you just cancelled the contract several years ago.

Diana613
Character Actor
Clearly, I didn't say because you don't agree, you work for them. I stated facts. Because this person has several hundred posts commenting on negative experience, and spends a lot of time on this forum, that's where I based my conclusion on. I personally don't have the time to respond to hundreds of people about issues that don't pertain to me unless say, I'm getting paid? Just saying.

Also, if Dish is holding me to my contract then I can do the same. Like I mentioned, it doesn't state how long I can be on pause or how many times I can reinstate the pause feature. I'm not sure why I was given the credit and didn't have to pay, I was just given this credit. I can't make someone issue $140 worth of credit 4 different times. Per contract, all credits are forfeited when pause is in effect. So did 3 or 4 different employees break the rules? Was I due a credit because I overpaid? Not your business why I had a credit. Just know that a company doesn't pay a customer and lose money for no reason, no matter what the customer says.

Community Manager
Community Manager
[b:20x1w10j]TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED DUE TO PERSONAL ATTACKS AGAINST ONE ANOTHER.[/b:20x1w10j]