cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Price increase

vickylarson
Extra

I have been a very loyal customer for almost 20 years now and have gone along with the price increases as they came.  This last one is not doable for me.  I can't afford it.  I have reached my maximum budget limit.  

13 Replies

Re: Price increase

Channasl
Extra

I have had two price changes in the past 3 or 4 months. First was in November and I understood and went along with it. Now I see my bill for this month and there's another increase. I like Dish but these price increases so close together are very hard when you are on a  tight budget.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The price increases will happen annually, no matter which company you go with. Even OTT services increase, as we see with a SlingTV and Directv Now, and Hulu is doing theirs next month. The reason is the channels increase their prices each year. If you had one 3-4 months ago, it was likely due to a credit or promotion expiration, and not an actual price increase.

Rocket_47
Extra
I just agreed a new 12 month rate 3 months ago and received a $5 per month increase in my email bill notice today. I spoke with a customer service supervisor that was unwilling to make it right and honor the agreed to rate. Dish is truly practicing missleading practices. They require subscribers to honor the 12 month commitment and they don’t honor the agreed price. This has to stop and/or they have to allow subscribers to leave without an penalty.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The 12 month agreements are not a price lock. So price increases would affect you, per the agreement.

peggyrh
Casting Director

Anyone who's been a long time satellite customer (with either Dish or Direct) should know by now that increases happen (almost) every year at this time.  Being on a fixed income I don't like it either, so I agreed to a new 2 yr price lock a few months ago.  Not much customers can do other than change packages or change providers - but until the tv industry changes it's going to keep increasing since channel owners keep asking for more $$.

ccreekers
Extra

I do not belive the 5% increase has anthing to do with cost of doing business, since dish rebated 25$ for loss of HBO & CINMAX which is only right. Then imeately add 10.$ back on. They charge 7 $ from 5$ for recivers which they have no cost in They charge for local channels even though under law they are require to carry other wise we would be able to get distance stations. Bottom line Dish is getting  greedy and at some point everone will leave, 5% is way beyond cost of inflation.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Almost every point there is incorrect. I will try and cover this as best as possible. The price increase was $5, not $10. Local channels are only free over the air, and the FCC requires providers to negotiate in good faith with the LiL stations. LiL is Local in Local. The only way local channels are free is OTA or if the channel designated themselves as ‘must carry’ which means they cannot be paid. This is usually a PBS station or Spanish stations. Local channels have actually increased their rates over 10,000% since 2008. That is not a typo.

As far as receivers go, there is a charge, mostly because there is a monthly fee tonproviders for those. Channels charge surcharges to providers for the number of TVs. The SEC and the FCC cab back each of these statements, can you present where you got your “facts”?

ccreekers
Extra

From $140 to $150 is a $10 increase for anyone who can add and substract with out any added benfits ! That is a 5% increase. You are not required to air spanish stations for free any more then english. Would you quoit the FCC SECI  reg. On equipment charges which you do not own or lease and how many TV's I watch. Please I would very much like to read tthe SEC requirement. Thank you

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The price increase that took place on 15Jan was $5.

That said, let’s move forward.

The requirement to carry a channel is when the station itself allocated itself to the government as a ‘Must-Carry’ desiganation. That means providers must carry that station in that area, however, the channel owner cannot ask for any money for retransmission it said channel. It has nothing to do with Spanish or English, just that most Spanish locals have that designation.
You’re welcome to google the FCC’s Must Carry rules. Unfortunately, Dish does not allow the posting of external links, thus cannot post. It should take you all of 2 seconds. You can also call the FCC, and they can explain it to you. Yes, they actually have a phone number you can call.