New customer vs existing customer pricing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer vs existing customer pricing

Can someone explain why a new customer can get pricing that an existing out of contract customer of 5 years cannot?

New Flex Pack service with Local Channel and Variety packs added on, plus a hopper 3 is $55.99 + taxes guaranteed for 2 years (after eAutopay Savings $5x24mo and Hopper Savings $5x24mo).

Today the closest the retention rep could come was $62.49/mo, claiming that the "Hopper Savings $5x24mo" wasn't available to him to give. I opted instead to have my service terminated. Then, during the termination process, the rep indicated that he was willing to "eat" the $195 charge for the Hopper 3!?! This was the [uSmiley Tongue262hct5]first time[/uSmiley Tongue262hct5] during our hour long conversation that such a charge was mentioned. I have a currently have a 722 that is malfunctioning (sometimes doesn't record what had been scheduled to record) that would be upgraded to a Hopper 3, but I don't see a $195 charge mentioned in any of the new customer Flex Pack creation details. What is this charge for? And the way it was mentioned at the very end of the termination conversation seems a bit fishy.

There are too many less expensive competing options available these days, and I don't understand why Dish, at the risk of loosing an existing customer, would not offer the same pricing that a new customer can get.
4 Replies

Re: New customer vs existing customer pricing

DISH Employee
We offer promotions for our current customers as well and I would be glad to check your account to see what offers might be available. Can you send a PM with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN?

hddn
Visual Engineer
Inertia. It is more likely to require a money-losing deal to make a customer change providers than it is to keep a current customer.

kgm032
Camera Crew
GhostRiderGrey wrote:
Can someone explain why a new customer can get pricing that an existing out of contract customer of 5 years cannot?

There are too many less expensive competing options available these days, and I don't understand why Dish, at the risk of loosing an existing customer, would not offer the same pricing that a new customer can get.

Second time replying to this post, cant imagine what happened to the first. :o I have come to the realization that you have to be prepared to switch providers every two years to get the best deal. I am six weeks from the end of my Dish contract and at the end it will go up at least $35 per month. Other providers can provide similar service AND internet access for nearly the same price after increase with a 2 year price lock. While I will listen to any retention offers that may be provided when I call to cancel, I do not anticipate anything matching the new offers out there, especially when factoring in the multiple DVR issues I and others have been experiencing over the past several months. Too bad, I like the technology offered by Dish and I know every provider will have their own issues I will have to deal with but being retired and on a fixed income I have to shop for best price.

Lowcarb
Character Actor
Sometimes the most power a consumer has is to vote with their feet.

I've closed a couple of car purchase deals only after walking out of the dealership. As I'm starting to drive away I see the sales person running after me across the parking lot. Suddenly the deal I was trying to get them to agree to was now acceptable!