Locals Used To Hide The Usual Feb. Price Hike?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locals Used To Hide The Usual Feb. Price Hike?

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Are the local channels being used to disguise the customary February price increase? Is lowering the core package rate, and then charging $10.00 for locals supposed to be doing us a favor? I know that locals have never been free, despite the selling spiel, "locals are included in the package". The bottom line is that most bills will increase. In my case, by $5.00 monthly. Why the shenanigans? Just admit that there will be a monthly increase in bills without going to the lengths of making a pretext of lowering core package prices by $5.00, and then charging $10.00 for locals. And that is unfair, anyway. I have only 5 locals, making my cost per local, $2.00. Most other markets have far more locals. For example, according to DISH local channel chart, Denver has 16 locals provided by DISH. The cost per channel for Denver subscribers, $0.63. Los Angeles has 26 locals that DISH provides. The cost per channel for LA subscribers is $0.38. So that is blatantly unfair. I am not bound to DISH. I can just cancel without fear of penalty. I am still unhappy about the lack of dependability and trustworthiness in the Hopper. Blank screen recordings are less frequent, but still make trust a big issue. I never had a trust issue with the DIRECTV genie. I record almost everything. Dependability and trust are of major importance.
12 Replies

Re: Locals Used To Hide The Usual Feb. Price Hike?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Not shenanigans. They broke out the locals for the average cost across the country. Locals have been a driving cost increaser, and people always talk about "how much are they asking for?" Well, now Dish is showing that on average locals have been increasing they costs beyond a reasonable level. Rumor is that in the coming months locals will be able to be dropped from your package, if you prefer to use OTA or just not pay for them.

DizoAZ
Extra
This will be the 2nd $5 price hike on my account in the last 12 months, this time supposedly for Local channels and the "rising cost". This looks like a scheme for Dish to make more money off us and blame someone else. Why is the OTA USB Dongle for the Hopper no longer available and being sold by 3rd party sellers for over $100. Why is Dish forcing it's customers to buy the Local channels if we have OTA antenna's that can tune the locals, why aren't they making it an option to drop locals? Dish, I will be dropping service after my promotional credits run out and go to DirecTV where I can get promo's for 12-24 months, then I'll switch to my local cable company after to take advantage of their promos. Hiking the price on your customers every 6 months won't keep us around!

hddn
Visual Engineer
Well if you have/had promotional credits, your bill will probably change more frequently than people who don't have them. So I guess that means avoid them if that bothers you? :)

The old single-tuner OTA adapter was dropped in favor of a new dual-tuner model. The first of these have just started arriving. As for someone price-gouging when supply of something is low: Welcome to America. The motivation for that is the same as your motivation to keep getting credits and changing services to get promos.

I wouldn't be surprised if locals become optional at some point. The rising cost is at least making Dish make it seem (to the local channels) that they are willing to make them an option and just let people drop them if the cost gets too high. I think this makes a lot of sense.

That said, I also understand that the business model of commercial television is under threat from DVR owners who never watch the part that pays the bills. So I understand why the local channels are trying to squeeze some money out of whomever they can. We'll just have to keep watching and see how it shakes out.

wvricky2
Costume Designer
A couple of follow - up comments. In some areas, mine included, cable is not an option. Suddenlink will not serve us. Too rural, I suppose. Frontier does provide DSL. It is immensely better than dial -up, but, again, because of location, we cannot get great speeds, but we pay just as much as customers that get much higher speeds. Concerning locals, the terrain here is not conducive to using an OTA antenna. Too many steep hills and mountains. Even a huge outdoor antenna on a nearby hill is useless. These digital signals do not carry as well as analog signals. We are only 20 miles away from our four major network locals. PBS in Morgantown is 70 miles away. Without DISH or DIRECTV, we would have no locals. And, one more thing, if we posters post something that DISH is not comfortable discussing, such as rate increases, it seems as if the D.I.R.T.'s just ignore us and hope it all goes away.

DISH Employee
Starting 01/17/17, we will separate the charges of your local channels out from your core programming package, and it will display as a $10.00 charge. We have done this so you can see the impact of the rising charges demanded by your local channel owners. To partially offset this change, we have reduced your core programming package charge by $5.00 per month. The combined impact of these changes will result in a $5.00 increase to your monthly bill. You’ve always paid for local channels, but previously they were included in the programming package price.

kgp62
Character Actor
LailaS wrote:
Starting 01/17/17, we will separate the charges of your local channels out from your core programming package, and it will display as a $10.00 charge. We have done this so you can see the impact of the rising charges demanded by your local channel owners. To partially offset this change, we have reduced your core programming package charge by $5.00 per month. The combined impact of these changes will result in a $5.00 increase to your monthly bill. You’ve always paid for local channels, but previously they were included in the programming package price.

I've been with Dish for 18 years and remember them charging for locals back then as an option not included as channel package, once again dish is getting creative with billing practices.

WHY? I was told they could remove my local line up of channels years ago on the same HD receivers I still own today but now they bill me for locals???
False and misleading information from a represenative, I paid for a lifetime one time fee of $100 around 7 years ago and now I am being billed for my locals. This company is misrepresenting it's billing.
I have an OTA antenna and receiver and no longer need the satellite to beam my locals but am told I can't remove the billing for my locals. This is bad customer service and will cost them customer retention. I personally will not recommend DISH to Anyone ever again. The future is clear grab as much of the customers money before streaming services crush thier business.

DISH Employee
kgp62 wrote:
LailaS wrote:

I've been with Dish for 18 years and remember them charging for locals back then as an option not included as channel package, once again dish is getting creative with billing practices.

WHY? I was told they could remove my local line up of channels years ago on the same HD receivers I still own today but now they bill me for locals???
False and misleading information from a represenative, I paid for a lifetime one time fee of $100 around 7 years ago and now I am being billed for my locals. This company is misrepresenting it's billing.
I have an OTA antenna and receiver and no longer need the satellite to beam my locals but am told I can't remove the billing for my locals. This is bad customer service and will cost them customer retention. I personally will not recommend DISH to Anyone ever again. The future is clear grab as much of the customers money before streaming services crush thier business.

The option to remove the Locals channel was offered quite time ago but has not been available for the past several years. Although this is now a separate charge on the bill, it cannot be removed unless you are in Flex Pack. The Flex Pack is a new and innovative packaging option that puts more choice and control into the hands of our customers. Check out the link for more details: [url:2g85uwp5]https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack.[/url:2g85uwp5]

kgp62
Character Actor
Great choice lose my sports channels in order to lose Locals, NOT a good choice Laila.
How about letting customers have a real choice such as Dropping local channels altogether as I could of done years earlier.
Don't tell me that isn't possible because it is possible to do if DISH was in the business of LISTENING to customers.

VanessaK
Camera Crew
You can add the sports channels with the Regional or National Sports Channel Add On options. Send a private message with your phone number and four digit security code so we can review your account.