Locals Pricing Is A Straight Up Rip Off

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locals Pricing Is A Straight Up Rip Off

Curtis1973
Extra
Considering the outrageous fee literally costing the equivalent of a movie pack with dish I figured I would drop locals. So we did. Bill still stayed $98 plus change. 12 locals out of 30 in my area isn't what I call a local package. It's a fleecing. With the 722 box I figured there was a built in its module for locals via ota. Nope. Box is missing the module. Nothing there. Empty slot. I dont buy that the networks are all to blame in this matter. Why not provide boxes with full over the air support built in? If you value customers so much. Not charge extra for the module. I can't even find it on the site if I were to want to buy it. Getting really close to going full over the air and supplementing programming with alternatives. Kodiak box for one. Dish is turning into another Direct TV.
5 Replies

Re: Locals Pricing Is A Straight Up Rip Off

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
12 local channels, huh? Customer nsidering the average is $1.50, not so much a fleecing. Well I guess it is, but truth be told there are some markets makes no profit on, and some markets they make the difference on. You want to not pay for locals and use OTA? Dish is the only provider that allows that. The module you want is the M2 OTA Module. It’s a 2 tuner OTA module. That receiver hasn’t been in production in over 8 years... so....

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

If you dropped locals, your bill should show a $12 decrease.

You can get ALL locals with an antenna with the prime channels being uncompressed HD.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

I've heard that if you drop the locals package from your account you'll lose the detailed programming information in the Guide.  it will still show the station if you have an OTA antenna connected and you can record it, it just will not say what is playing at that time slot.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

^^^^

If you drop locals, they are no longer shown as subscribed channels on the DISH program guide. If you install an antenna and plug the co-ax into the 'TV' jack, change input to TV, do a scan, you will get ALL channels availble in your area. All local channel programming is listed on the local program guide using the 'guide' button on the TV remote.

DISH Employee

When you use an OTA antenna, our Guide will have the programming information for the locals channels that we have the rights to broadcast in your area. So for the main locals in your area like ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox, you will now see all detailed programming information. If we do not have the rights to that channel's broadcast, it will only list the channel in the Guide with no other information.