Last Chance - Is there a reason to stay with Dish?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last Chance - Is there a reason to stay with Dish?

Moondoggy
Extra
I have been a Dish Network customer for years and years and I currently have the America's Everything package plus the Dish Movie Pack that costs an additional $10 a month. After the recent $10 price hike my monthly bill now over $200 and when it crossed that $200 boundary I started to compare Dish to DirecTV and I'm seriously considering a swap.

Yesterday I went into my local AT&T corporate store and found out that I can get pretty much everything I currently am paying for on Dish for $125 a month and guarantee that price for 2 years. Yes I'll be giving up the Epix Channels and The Movie Channel Xtra channel but I'll be gaining 2 Cinemax channels, 2 Showtime channels and I'll also be gaining a slew of sports channels. Other than these changes, the other channels I would be gaining and/or loosing by switching are pretty much of no interest to me anyway as I'm not into religious channels or shopping channels. All of the remaining premium movie channels and other channels I view today on Dish are all available on DirecTV.

Yes, I know that my Hopper with Sling has 2 TB of storage but I don't record a lot of shows on my DVR anyway. It appears that DirecTV has far more video on demand (VOD) channels than DISH and DirecTV allows you to start a show over from the beginning if the shows already started and you can also play a show over within 72 hours of it airing if you've missed it entirely or reception was interrupted due to a rain storm.

So, bottom line is that I have not pulled the trigger yet but unless someone can give me a really good reason not to switch and save over $75 a month I think I'll be switching. If there's a reason to stay that I have not thought of, let me know quickly. Thanks
10 Replies

Re: Last Chance - Is there a reason to stay with Dish?

DISH Employee
Please send me your phone number and 4 digit PIN for further assistance.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If you watch the Blaze, or the PAC12 sports channels, those two off the top of my head would be lost, but that price lock, I would recommend visiting their Facebook page. Everything you're saying on here, people are complaining about on DTVs Facebook page about being offered, and not recieving. Also, you will lose Sling and transfer abilities, in addition to certain whole home features, depending on how many tvs you watch. Basically, have everything signed in black and white before making the switch, and make sure if is from an officer of the company, as the contract does also state that no single employee has the authorization to make changes to the written material of the agreement.

ryancwill
Camera Crew
Also, I have known many people that have DirectTV and few are happy with them long term. Once their initial sign up package expires, they have had very large price jumps, much more than I had w DISH when my initial contract expired.

Also, whenever I have visited any of these friends, I find the DirectTV guide and DVR very cumbersome to navigate and setup very poorly. (And have found the same thing with many major cable companies equipment). I have talked with a few friends about this and, while they have gotten used to it, they definitely have many things they don't like about the layout an functionality. I have found the Hopper DVR to be the best and easiest to use by far of any I've seen and used.

Moondoggy
Extra
Well, I've been on DirecTV for over a week now and I'm honestly quite impressed. The guide and remote are easy to use and there are many features I like such as the ability to view a show you missed within 72 hours, the ability to restart certain shows in progress and the fact that Video On Demand (VOD) episodes like Billions load in a fraction of the time that they did on Dish. DirecTV also has a ton more VOD channels including VOD for CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and many other channels not offered by DISH which really negates the need to record many shows on the DVR. Best of all I'm saving $1,800.00 over 2 years. Now who's to say if DirecTV will have a better deal at the end of 2 years but even today, if I were paying full price, DirecTV would be cheaper than DISH, especially after DSIH started charging $10.00 for local channels and didn't cut their package price by that same amount. This may sound like I'm really bashing Dish but was a loyal DISH customer for 15 or more years but when the price kept going up and the value went down I felt like I had no choice but to jump ship..

hddn
Visual Engineer
Well I must admit that the thought of SAVING $1800 in 2 years was intriguing since that's about the amount of money that I PAY in 2 years at Dish.

But when I looked at their website I didn't see anything special. For example the Select package is $50/month for 12 months, then regular price of $90/month. So with a 2 year contract, I'd be paying around the same price I pay Dish, and at the end of it - more, unless I switched back. So maybe DirecTV is better with super high-end packages, but their regular packages don't appear to be anything special.

Moondoggy
Extra
I understand.

The situation is that since AT&T bought DirecTV they're offering incentive to AT&T customers if you have their AT&T U-Verse fiber optic, high speed internet service and either a VOIP home phone or cell phone service. In my case AT&T converted our neighborhood over to U-Verse last fall so instead of 12 months they offered me 24 months as I have both internet and VOIP home phone service..

angryyew
Character Actor
I switched from Direct to Dish a couple months ago. The two things that prompted the switch were that I was past the point where the promotional price expired and my bill had jumped to well over what I'm paying Dish now and the increased number of tuners and ability to watch Netflix (can watch it on other devices, but would be nice not to have to switch.)

The price panned out but the rest didn't. I singed up online and it didn't tell me anything about not qualifying for the Hopper 3. I got a letter in the mail a couple days before they were set to come install and after I had already gone through the hassle of canceling my service with DirecTV.

I called to ask about the letter and was told to ignore it and everything was fine. On my install day, the sub-contractor that was supposed to install quit his job an hour before he was supposed to install my service. They called some other guy. He tells me they'd have to contact Dish and there'd probably be an additional install fee to get the Hopper 3, but I could get the Hopper with Sling without paying additional, so I agree to that and now instead of having more tuners than I had with Direct, I have two less (I just have one tv hooked up, so no Joeys.)

But oops, since he wasn't scheduled to do my install, he doesn't actually have any Hoppers with Sling on his van, just a regular Hopper and the Hopper 3. Since I didn't want to wait for another installer, I agree to just get the plain Hopper, so there goes the Netflix.

As to how it compares to Direct. My guide was definitely faster on Direct's equipment, though my parents have the Hopper 3 and their guide is much faster than the guide on my Hopper 2 or whatever it is. I think Direct's genie was easier to navigate, easier to schedule recordings....I constantly have issues with my timers not working correctly with Dish. Seldom had similar issues with Direct.

All that aside, because of the lower price I was pretty satisfied with Dish until I ran into issues with the guide telling me Cardinals baseball games are blacked out in my area (I watched them just fine on Direct) when multiple sources tell me they should not be. I'm hoping the guide is just wrong and I'll be able to tune in tomorrow, but if not this whole switch is going to be a major bust.

So....I guess my opinion is, if you can get a lower price with Direct, it's probably worth the switch, however the price definitely will go up, a lot, when your promo period is over.

hddn
Visual Engineer
For what it's worth, I like dealing with my local Dish retailer, because they go into the stock room and bring back a box and put your name on it so there's no confusion about what you'll get. And they've never been late for an install but that could be luck.

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Since your parents have a Hopper3, you already knew about all the advantages of a Hopper3 (over a 4+ yr old first gen Hopper), so why did you have the installer put older version in? Sounds like you didn't do all your research first & let someone take advantage of you.

I'm sure Dish would rather have their new customers with a Hopper3 - contact one of the names in orange here & see if they can switch your old one out. You need to be proactive.