Fraudulent billing for pay-per-view

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent billing for pay-per-view

ginispeaches
Extra

I have electronic billing and electronic bank statements so I dont check my bill often, but I will from now on. On April 12th 2018 I was in the hospital with pneumonia. When I looked at my May credit card statement my Dish bill had jumped $60. I’m on a price lock for 3 years. I called Dish and I found I had been fraudulently charged for a wresselmania while I was in the hospital. I had Dish insist and tell me the ONLY way a pay-per-view charge can be billed to your account is by a person using a remote control and manually pressing the buttons to verify the purchase. BS.
I called on May 16th 2018 to talk to customer service and was told to bad that some one in my family must have ordered it. I told the Rep, I’m a family of ONE! I live by myself. No one was in my home while I was in the hospital.
While I’m taking to the first Rep a female I told her to look at my history for the last 2 year and see that I NEVER rent, order or pay for any pay-per-view. She offered as a ONE-TIME curtsy to me to wave the fee. I asked her if she had could see any other pay-per-view charges and she said NO, there are NONE. I was also walked through the process to put a code on “so that anyone breaking into my home could not access my TV without my code.” That was their solution as to how the pay-per-view was ordered!!!
So
I check my bill again in June 20th 2018 because my bill was higher than the fixed price lock and was told I had ordered a Fitness pay-per-view on May 14th 2018. I had asked the last Rep I spoke with if she saw ANY other pay-per-views on my account she said NO. That was a lie too by the first female rep I spoke with. The fitness pay-per-view charge was on my account for 2 days when she told me she sae NONE.
I told the male Rep that was impossible I was out of town and I got the same BS that it is physical impossible for Dish to order pay-per-view without a person manually pushing the buttons.
After reading numerous complaints over 8,000 (Eight Thousands complaints) fraudulent pay-per-view billing complaints I found online. Dish network first go to lie. “Someone in your family must have ordered it” Again I told this rep that I live by myself. The second go to lie from Dish is “One of your family or friends visiting you must have ordered it”. Nope I was out of town for 2 days before, the days of and 2 days after. He had no other explanation but to tell me that someone with a key to my house must have come over while I was gone and watched my TV. Nope no one but me has a key to my home.
I was also told that I had ordered a movie on 6/12/18. I was home that day preparing for a court case and most certainly did NOT have time to watch a movie and most certainly did NOT order a movie.
This seems to be a monthly occurrence. April 12th-wresselmania, May 14th-a fitness show and June 12th a movie. I’m seeing a pattern here.
The Rep walked me through how to see my history of pay-per-view I have ordered and it was empty. Then he blamed me for lying and said I had gone into my history and had already deleted the pay-per-view I had ordered. How? I had no idea how to get to the history, that is why he needed to walk me through the process, and of course it was empty, not a single pay-per-view in my history.
I told the Rep I wanted pay-per-view blocked he said I cannot be done, the best he could do is to bring my monthly limit down to $6. I said NOT good enough That I was NOT going to call Dish every month to dispute felonious pay-per-view charges and spend hours waiting and talking to customer service reps and supervisors over a $6 monthly fee.
I told him if I get charged for ANY more pay-per-views I will switch to the other satellite company that starts with a D and ends with TV.
Only after threatening to move my business elsewhere did the rep offer to have a manager contact me and make my pay-per-view monthly limit $0 zero dollars. That the ONLY way to order a pay-per-view would be for me to call Dish directly. I have NOT heard from the manager at this point, they have 1 more day to respond to me.
Researching online I have found over 8,000 complaints against Dish for fraudulent pay-per-view charges in numerous states. In the numerous complaints Dish refused to remove the charge for about what looks to me 50% of its customers.

In the state of Washington the Attorney General has sued Dish for fraudulent charges and fined them 3-million dollars with compensation to customers as high as 5-million dollars. I also found complaints of fraudulent charges going back as far as 2003. Dish lies to their customers about the ONLY way of ordering a pay-per-view is for a person to manually push the remote control buttons to order. BS! Obviously that is a lie! In my online research I saw that one customer is so “Fed up” with this constant fraudulent pay-per-view billing that he is starting a class action law suit against Dish. Check you bill monthly! Dish fraudulent pay-per-view scam has been ongoing since 2003. All their reps are very well trained to tell the same lies to customers blaming the customer for lying to them!

13 Replies

Re: Fraudulent billing for pay-per-view

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
You can order PPV through your remote(internet or phone connected) through an agent or through the website and IVR. Sounds like you are ordering them via remote, and although it is not you ordering them, they may be valid. If you share remote addresses with a nearby neighbor, then when they order it, it is ordering on yours as well... this would really be dependent on your equipment, but your best bet is to change the remote addrsss.

DISH Employee

ginispeaches, I would be happy to take a look at your account and see what we can do to get that Pay-Per-View limit down to zero to avoid this from happening again. Can you please send me a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit Pin on the account so I may access it?

To send a Private Message:
1. Make sure you are signed into the Communities page.
2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
3. Click Compose New Message.
4. Enter the recipient's name (JasmineD) in the Send to area.
5. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
6. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
7. Then click Send Message

lawyerup
Extra

Just happened to me also  no history of watching wrestling no one in the house except a dog

would not credit the acct  Time to start legal action in ohio  1st step  bbb 2nd step file complaint with ohio attorney general

3rd step file complaint with fcc 4 th step write a letter to my congressman 5th step contact some associates to see if a class suit is viable.

DISH Employee

lawyerup, I can understand the frustration of seeing such a charge on your billing. I would definitely be upset as well. My goal is to help make your service better in any way I can. Can you please send me a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit Pin on your account so I can take a look into this for you?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Someone missed their arbitration clause.

pflor
Extra

I am having the issue with ppv fraudulent charges. The only reason I have dish, is because I want my parents to be able to watch the channels they like in spanish.  There are three people at home, myself and my elderly parents, whom don't event speak english and won't be able to follow the process to order a ppv event. I have never ordered ppv in the past.

In my case, I got charged for 2 wresting events, and the same kid movie 4 times (no kids at home).   After talking with 4 reps, they gave credit for the movies. On August 1, I ended up talking with Barry, employee ID X4U, (just after I said I will complaint with BBB) who offered to give me credit on my next three bills for a total value of the wresting events to which I agreed, he then helped me to lock the ppv channels.  But now, it seems that it is another ppv event (a concert) for $29.99 which no one ordered, and they don't want to credit my account again. The supervisor Shelby told me that they already gave credit, like if I don't deserve it.BS

What really pissed me off is that they are ready to blame you; they don't care how long you have been their customer.

I will be filing complaints everywhere. BBB, FCC, Attorney General in my state ,and I will continue investigating this issue, someting needs to be done.  I imagined that like me there are many of their speaking spanish customers that don't say anything and just pay the bill.  

DISH Employee

Hi pflor. That's really odd to see that many fraudulent orders on your account and if there's anything I can do to help, I'd be happy to. If the system is showing that they are being purchased through the receiver itself, we really need to get some parental controls set up to remove the ability to order without verification. Have you been able to set up parental controls in the past?

pflor
Extra
Ha ha, odd? I am not the only with same the issues. I got a charge after you guys set up a passcode for all the ppv channels, and I'm the only one who knows the passcode. But, of course,! as your rep said "someone guessed it"

pflor
Extra
Oh, you would help me crediting my acct for $29.99 the value of the ppv I didn't order.