Dish protect being changed without approval

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish protect being changed without approval

mccabet
Extra
Received my current bill and it has this message on it:

With your next bill, your Protection Plan ($8/month) will change to
DISH Protect Silver ($8.99/month). On top of your current coverage,
you will receive Basic Identity Restoration. To learn more about
DISH Protect, please visit mydish.com/dish-protect

I have not authorized this change! This is forcing me to pay for additional features I do NOT want.

Now if you add features for the same price is one thing. Automatically changing to a new plan with an increased cost to get features I do not want is a scam.

I have been a customer for a long time ( close to 20 years ) and have been treated well. However, this is underhanded and I will not tolerate it. Metronet is installing fiber in my area and I bet they would like my business.

I own my equipment and have been resistant to move to the other guys. Don't force my hand. Stop this practice now.
17 Replies

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

DISH Employee
mccabet wrote:
Received my current bill and it has this message on it:

With your next bill, your Protection Plan ($8/month) will change to
DISH Protect Silver ($8.99/month). On top of your current coverage,
you will receive Basic Identity Restoration. To learn more about
DISH Protect, please visit mydish.com/dish-protect

I have not authorized this change! This is forcing me to pay for additional features I do NOT want.

Now if you add features for the same price is one thing. Automatically changing to a new plan with an increased cost to get features I do not want is a scam.

I have been a customer for a long time ( close to 20 years ) and have been treated well. However, this is underhanded and I will not tolerate it. Metronet is installing fiber in my area and I bet they would like my business.

I own my equipment and have been resistant to move to the other guys. Don't force my hand. Stop this practice now.

Hello mccabet. We understand your concern. The protection plan is an optional service and not required. The plan has changed and we've added additional coverage to the service, that is why we notified you. https://www.mydish.com/dish-protect will provide details on the service.

If you'd like us to remove the service we can do this via the forums if you private message us.
You also have the option to visit www.mydish.com or by downloading the free My Dish app.
800-333-3474 can get you in touch with a phone agent to remove it too.

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

stile99
Cinematographer
Just so we are clear, the $8 protection plan WILL NOT be grandfathered in for those who currently have it? It is gone, and the two choices are the silver and gold, even for those who current have the old protection plan?

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

Community Manager
Community Manager
stile99 wrote:
Just so we are clear, the $8 protection plan WILL NOT be grandfathered in for those who currently have it? It is gone, and the two choices are the silver and gold, even for those who current have the old protection plan?


That is correct. You will be automatically changed the lower tier DISH Protect Silver option. The total increase will be of $0.99.

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

stile99
Cinematographer
Thank you for the clarification. I'd like to ask a couple more questions if I might. I believe I am correct in my understanding that things entirely out of our control that impact service (example: LNB drift) would still be repaired at no charge, protection plan or no. If the HDD in my Hopper dies or smoke starts billowing out the back, since it is your equipment it would be replaced protection plan or no, but I may have to pay for shipping (which I believe is just return shipping for the dead box or is it both ways?)? Worst case scenario, am I correct that the option to just add it at need (with the required minimum to have it still being six months or incur a penalty) would remain?

I'm not asking because I'm trying to be sneaky or play silly buggers, there are only two options here. I'm grandfathered at the old plan with the old rate or I'm dropping protection. Since it seems option one has been removed from the table, I just want as much information regarding option two as possible. I realize any information given today could very well change tomorrow.

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

Community Manager
Community Manager
Tech visit fees are for the cost of the labor. You're not actually ever charged for the replacement of leased parts, unless they're not returned to us, or a returned to us broken. Same goes for shipping of replacement parts.

So if we need to send out a tech and you do not have DISH Protect on your account, you would be charged the full $95.

Should you ever need a tech visit, you will always have the option to add DISH Protect on the account to avoid the larger charge.

To be clear, these are not new rules, as not much has changed from this transition. DISH Protect Silver is basically the Protection Plan, plus some great EZShield services, and a $0.99 increase.

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

stile99
Cinematographer
Chris S. wrote:
Tech visit fees are for the cost of the labor. You're not actually ever charged for the replacement of leased parts, unless they're not returned to us, or a returned to us broken. Same goes for shipping of replacement parts.

So if we need to send out a tech and you do not have DISH Protect on your account, you would be charged the full $95.

Should you ever need a tech visit, you will always have the option to add DISH Protect on the account to avoid the larger charge.

To be clear, these are not new rules, as not much has changed from this transition. DISH Protect Silver is basically the Protection Plan, plus some great EZShield services, and a $0.99 increase.


Yeah...not going to argue the point, but what you call great, I call unnecessary and intrusive, but we'll just have to agree to disagree about EZShield.

Thank you for the information. Since even with the protection plan, the visit was only 'discounted', the $8/month savings would pay for a yearly tech visit from the looks of it. I do wonder about one last detail though, and that is the timeframe I must wait before dropping the protection plan, and the timeframe I must wait before adding it again, without penalty. So say something bad happens in June and I have to add the plan back. When can I drop it again without penalty? After dropping it, when can I add it again without penalty? Also, does the work done come with any sort of warranty? Let's say I have protection in June, and drop it whenever I am able to do so without penalty. After it is dropped, it is discovered the tech used bad parts (using this as an example), but this is not discovered until protection is dropped. Will another tech come correct the work I have already paid for at no additional charge to me?

One final thought though, you mention that there is a charge if leased equipment is returned broken. So OK, the HDD failed on my Hopper. You send me another, and this is at no charge for either the device or shipping, correct? In that same box, I put the Hopper with the failed drive, and I assume there's a return label in the box for it. Is this considered broken, and if so, what is the cost?

Thank you very much for the information, I understand the rules themselves are not new, but the problem is I have never needed to know these specific rules. I want to again be clear here, I'm not whining about the buck a month. I'm saying a definitive no to EZShield (and don't bother trying to market it to me, if you made the cost of Protect Silver just that 99 cents and grandfathered me in to the old protect at the $8, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat).

Let me illustrate it this way. McDonald's sells hamburgers, and for an extra charge, will add cheese. They decide, as a benefit to all their customers, they're going to raise the price of the burgers 12.5% and all of them will come with cheese. Jerry is lactose intolerant, and cannot eat cheese. There's no point in McDonald's telling him how great cheese is, if cheese comes with the burger, Jerry's not buying the burger. The 12.5% increase isn't the issue, it's the unwanted add-on.
Highlighted

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You can add the ProPlan back the day after cancelling. The warranty is 60 days from the date of the visit. The wait time is 6 months, I believe, to cancel with no cost. Just like it was before the change.

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

djd1948
Character Actor
The only Dish equipment that I have is a VIP722K receiver that I have had since I became a Dish customer in January of 2011 after having a problem with Direct TV. I have paid the monthly fee for the service plan the entire time. I subscribe to one programming package and no premium packages. I already have and pay for Identity Theft and Restoration service so my question is this. What exactly will this change do for me other than increase my monthly cost for being a Dish subscriber for the second time this year?

Re: Dish protect being changed without approval

DISH Employee
Can you send a PM with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN?