cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Pricing for retired people on fixed income

STEVEWILCO
Extra
Dear Dish
My wife and I are both now retired and on Social Security income, We have been loyal Dish customers since it became available due to living in rural Colorado where cable was not an option. We are now retire on the Oregon Coast and our last Dish Bill was $126, it has been going up constantly over the last several years. We are looking at dropping your service due to the cost since we no longer can afford it.
We would like to suggest that you come up with an price for retired people such as us so we can keep your service at an affordable rate. We have been told we can drop your service for a month then rejoin under a different name to get the two years special rate of $79. Why don't you offer that rate to senior citizens that need to save as much money as possible? Especially to customers with over 25 years of loyalty!
4 Replies

Re: Dish Pricing for retired people on fixed income

DISH Employee
We'd be glad to take a look at your account for you. Can you send a PM with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN?

stile99
Cinematographer
Please do follow Erika's advice Steve, she may be able to help. But also, I think perhaps some suggestions might give you options, and set the correct expectations.

You mention a $126 bill, and a $79 rate. What package do you have? The reason I'm asking is the people with the $79 rate do not pay $79. Of course, there's going to be specials, and retailers having their own specials and so on, but right now it looks like $79 is the base cost of the America's Top 250 plan. Is it possible you don't need some of those channels? You can compare different channel lists, maybe dropping to the next lower plan, or even lower that that, would serve your needs better and save you money?

Now, let's look at what people pay. Say you're a new customer and you want that $79 plan on only two TVs. Equipment cost you're looking at $15 for the Hopper and $7 for the Joey. If you want more TVs, add $7 for each one, but we'll just use the two for this example. So now per month the rate has gone from $79 (let's not fool ourselves, it's $79.99, so let's just call it $80) to $102. Just for the package and the equipment, we're not counting any fees or taxes here. It doesn't look like playing fake name games is going to save a lot of money, leaving looking at the package price as the best option.

Sit with your wife and go over the channels you both watch. Make three lists, list one is absolutely need this channel regardless of cost, list two is want this channel but it can be dropped if we save money, and list three is don't care about this channel at all. Find the package that includes all of list one and as much of list two as you can afford.

The bottom line here is lowering your bill is definitely something you have the power to do. The question is what are you willing to give up in exchange. And make sure you know what you're really getting, and what you're really paying for. If your base package right now is $79, you're not going to save anything by 'changing your name' to go to the $79 package.

hddn
Visual Engineer
I'm not getting any special deal and my price is in the double digits. Definitely take a look at Dish's packages. Flex pack plus locals for example is under $50.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Agreed, Flex may be the best option to lower price, it has been a great choice for me as I don't need the
sports or kids programming.