$10 charge for payment extension?!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10 charge for payment extension?!

miqromero1
Extra
I have been a long long time customer of Dish network and have never asked for a payment extension. Yes, I am late on my Dish bill sometimes (who isn't?!). The company was going to charge me $10 just to get an extension until 2/2/18. I enjoy having Dish Network in my home. I am so upset that the company charges people $10 for a payment extension. We're already having a hard time paying the bill on time and to add to the stress they are going to charge us an extra $10?! Yes yes, get rid of Dish if you can't afford it. Some months are just harder than others for some of us. I asked the customer service agent if the $10 fee could be waived since I have never asked for a payment extension before and I did remind her that I have been a long time customer of Dish Network. She hesitated for a few seconds but eventually she said that she would be able to waive it as a one time courtesy. Goodness, a one time courtesy! I am so disappointed in this company right now. I have never heard of a company charging their customers a fee to set up a payment extension. I am thankful that the customer service agent waived it this one time. I know going forward I will no longer be able to ask this company for any help when I am late on my bill because I will be charged an extra $10.
6 Replies

Re: $10 charge for payment extension?!

stile99
Cinematographer
You've seriously never heard of a late fee before? I find this dubious.

miqromero1
Extra
Late fee, yes. But the customer service rep said it was a fee because I was asking for a payment extension. No need to be rude.

hddn
Visual Engineer
I can't imagine why you would have a deadline for bill, yet have no fee for missing it. In any case, you probably cost them $10 just for the customer support call to process your request (my previous employer had a higher number than that for the cost of an average support call). If there was no fee, some people would probably be inclined to call in rather routinely.

stile99
Cinematographer
Maybe the problem is I don't understand payment extension. You're asking to pay late, is this incorrect? If this is indeed correct, then what you are proposing is you should be allowed to pay late with no penalty. Again, is this incorrect?

Chadt41411
Casting Director

The extension is used after it has already fallen into the second month of delinquency. You can use up to 9 days of extension without being cut off, but remember, you're already into your second month of delinquency so since you don't pay interest, this is one way to make up lost funds, or funds that Dish paid for you, but was not paid for. They are not the only ones that charge a fee for an extension. It used to be free, but it use to be heavily abused. As you said, now you don't want to pay late anymore because now it costs more money.

stile99
Cinematographer
Wait, so apparently I DID misunderstand! I thought payment extension meant something like the bill is due on the 9th, but I don't get paid until the 14th, and so I call/chat/email/whatever and explain the situation, then when I pay on the 14th everything is fine, service isn't cut off or anything (as long as the payment is made as agreed). But actually it means you haven't paid your bill in two months?

In that case, there's really nothing to see here. OP knows the score and has no valid reason for complaint.