waiting for Subtitles and Home Media fixes

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waiting for Subtitles and Home Media fixes

rootazoid
Camera Crew
As of a Dish software update in August 2016 part of my subtitles are off the screen. Perfect before that. I've been told this update has "thousands" of reports of this problem and they are "working on it". I need English subs for anything with action.

Then, as of another software update this April '17 the Home Media 'app' displays my stored PC videos in a tiny window. Close to perfect before that. Even got a new Hopper3 to try solving this. No idea about any fixes in the pipeline. I need my local PC media!
25 Replies

Re: waiting for Subtitles and Home Media fixes

DISH Employee
A couple of things to check with you. When you say the subtitles are off the screen, are you saying the words are cut off? Can you provide me something you have seen (channel and show) to check it here please.

The Home Media issue is still being worked on to be fully resolved.

rootazoid
Camera Crew
Mike H. wrote:
A couple of things to check with you. When you say the subtitles are off the screen, are you saying the words are cut off? Can you provide me something you have seen (channel and show) to check it here please.

The Home Media issue is still being worked on to be fully resolved.

Hi Mike, I think you and I have been over this subs issue before here on the forum. Yes, subs on the left have the first letter cut off, subs on the top have the top quarter or more of the whole line cut off. I've spent hours on the phone about it, also at least one tech home visit. We *think* it's about me having a 2007 Rear Projection TV but nothing I can do with it or the Hopper3 can fix it. The Hopper3's Settings/TV shows the 4 corner circles all cut off at the max zoomed out. No aspect or any other tv setting brings the circles into view. The thing is the pre-Aug'16 Hopper software showed the subs fine. No settings have changed on the Hopper or the TV since then so I conclude it's the Hopper software update. Also, news shows that have that bottom scroller-chyron have it severely cut off. [url:8figuz1x]http://imgur.com/a/F8rOH[/url:8figuz1x]

I'm glad to hear you know about the Home Media issue and that it's being worked on.

DISH Employee
The issue is most likely caused due to the TV. Is this happening on all channels/shows you set the subtitles for?

rootazoid
Camera Crew
ErikaP wrote:
The issue is most likely caused due to the TV. Is this happening on all channels/shows you set the subtitles for?

I switch subs ON and OFF maybe once a day, on the Hopper3 via the remote's Options button. The fact that the subs were great-to-perfect BEFORE AUGUST 2016 on Dish tells me the TV is fully capable of accurate subs when the signal coming over is the old style.

DISH Employee
It may be due to an update that was sent out, but I can also submit this to our engineering department to check into it further.

rootazoid
Camera Crew
!?!

olds4422
Audio Engineer
there are bugs in subtitles that go back 2+ years,

Majortiy of all updates do more damage then they fix things, mostly cause there is ZERO Q/A done internally and if there is then the people doing Q/A are terrible at doing there job, or people they telling about the issues are terrible at there job.

Every time I see new bug first thing I do is check and see if there was update, and sure enough there was an update

rootazoid
Camera Crew
tsunami2311 wrote:
Every time I see new bug first thing I do is check and see if there was update, and sure enough there was an update

My impression of the Hopper3 is it was rushed to market somewhat ahead of its time, and thus the amount of customer tech support calls keeps the front-line newbie techs back "on their heels" with never enough time to catch up. [b:6lj5u3s8]Subtitle problems? [i:6lj5u3s8]Never heard of that.[/i:6lj5u3s8] Home Media? [i:6lj5u3s8]Never heard of it, what's that?[/i:6lj5u3s8] [/b:6lj5u3s8] I can't blame the front-line newbie techs, more like the top-level management wants XYZ, then the overwhelmed back-end user interface designers and then the trainers. Dominos.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
it was rushed. To this day the 2 Hopper with sling, 2 joey and the H3 with 3 4k Joeys systems have been worse upgrade I never done with dish.

the 4 612 dvr I had had way less issues. i switch cause I was told I would save money and ironically I pay alot more now. not to mention if i went back to solo dvr I Would be paying even more.