vip722k freezes when accessing with external hard drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vip722k freezes when accessing with external hard drive

JeremyB
Extra
A few weeks ago my receiver started freezing when on the menu screen. A reset would fix it but it kept ding it occasionally. After looking online I saw to plug the the receiver directly into the wall, which I did. And that seemed to fix the problem.

Then a few days ago I was having issues with it even turning on. A reset would fix it, but I'd have reset it every time I'd want to use it. And there would be "Warning 303" which never went away even after leaving it all night. So I called tech support and was walked through the steps which started a Boot recovery and then another 303 screen and was told it would take about 4 hours to complete. About 12 hours later tech support had me try a few more things and then eventually said they were rending me a replacement. It was suggested I try to transfer whatever I could to my external drive so I could use it on the new receiver.

So, when I got it reset and working again I noticed it would freeze when trying to access my external drive. I reset and tried again many different times. Everything would work perfectly until I'd try to do anything to access that drive. So I unplugged the drive and haven't had a problem since.

My question is, could a bad drive (or possibly driver) cause all the issues I've been having? It's only about 4 years old. A 2TB Seagate external drive with it's own power supply. I'm trying to determine my options, if I need to get a new drive to transfer the DVR content to?(and loose everything on the external), send back the new receiver and keep the one with my recordings? I'd really like to not loose that content.
5 Replies

Re: vip722k freezes when accessing with external hard drive

DISH Employee
If you have received a replacement receiver, I'd go ahead and set up the new receiver.

The External Hard Drive should not be causing issues with your current receiver even powering on. If the receiver only freezes when trying to access the Hard drive, it might be having issues picking up the Hard Drive which is causing the freezing issue.

JeremyB
Extra
Thanks for the info. Previously the receiver was only occasionally freezing on any menu. I'm not sure about when accessing the drive then because I don't think I had at the time. But now it's only freezing on accessing the drive(either attempting to view or transfer). I also tried the USB port of the front and it also freezes.

Is there any other way to transfer DVR content to the new receiver when it arrives if I can't use an external harddrive?

Thanks again.

DISH Employee
With that receiver model, an external hard drive would be the only option. An Ethernet transfer is possible on our Hopper receiver line though.

JeremyB
Extra
So, I finally got the replacement receiver hooked up and running and when I connected the external drive I got the same problem. The menu would freeze when I tried to use it.

The same issues as before. Only when I first plugging in the drive, it asked if I wanted to access the media device now(But it froze when I tried)

After rebooting I saw "Attention 851 You have connected too many devices to the USB port." which is what the other receiver was doing. And trying to use it at all freezes the menu and I have to reset.

So...do I need to return the new receiver instead of the old one? I really don't want to loose any DVR content but it looks like I'm loosing something either way. And I probably won't have a chance to look at again for several more days.

DISH Employee
Do you know if the hard drive has a USB 2.0-compatible cable? Also, is it a single disk drive (not flash memory)?