cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound loss on recordings

mec1
Costume Designer

Persistent problem:

When watching a recording on the DVR the sound drops out for a second or two. This happens at any time during playback.  I have reset the Hopper numerous times but it makes no difference.

More issues with the glitchy Hopper 3 w/Sling.

17 Replies

Re: sound loss on recordings

DISH Employee

Hello mec1, I hate to hear you are having problems with the sound dropping out on DVR recordings. Have you tried connecting the Hopper to a different input on your TV? Also check to make sure the cable going from the receiver to the TV is securely connected and not becoming loose. If everything looks good, try changing the audio compression method by going to menu>settings>audio output.

mec1
Costume Designer

Thanks for responding. I will try your suggestions.

mec1
Costume Designer

Thank you for your specific suggestions but I have the same problem:

At the beginning of any recording (between 5-7 minutes into it) there is a sound drop out for a second or three. Channel makes no difference, this happens on every recording.

New Problems:

When I use the microphone the correct show appears but I can't select it using any button on the remote so I am forced to use Options and type in the program I want. The microphone used to work.

I have the guide programmed to List 1 but it keeps showing all the available channels. I have to change this every day!  

Can't believe how glitchy Hopper 3 w/ Sling is. Poor software according to my husband who is a software engineer.

If I were to replace this Hopper and remote with another one would I lose all my recordings?

DISH Employee

When you hear the audio drop for a few seconds, are you seeing a distorted video? Also, do you have any sound bars connected to the TV/receiver? I understand that your remote is not allowing you to select anything once you use the voice feature. Have you tried to unplug the receiver from the power outlet for 15 seconds and plug back in? Also, I would try to take the batteries out of the remote for a few seconds and re-insert them. If a receiver is replaced, you would lose the recordings. A way to keep them is to back them up into an external hard drive. 

mec1
Costume Designer

I power cycled the DISH (unplugged, waited, replugged) and now my microphone and guide issues seem to be solved.

I am recording a program to see if I still have the sound drop out on playback. We do not have sound bars and do not lose video on playback.

DISH Employee

We are happy to hear that resetting the receiver fixed your audio issues! If you notice anything odd happening in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us. 

mec1
Costume Designer

Thought the issue was solved but it came back. When I plugged and unplugged the receiver it worked properly again. Will I have to doing this or is my receiver defective? 

Question 2:  are the receivers used/refurbished?

DISH Employee

Have you had to unplug and plug it back in more than once since the issue came back? 

Some of our receivers are refurbished. They are tested completely by our technical team before they are shipped out to our customers.

mec1
Costume Designer

Yes I've had to plug and unplug it twice since the first time.

Do you actually ever use brand new receivers?