"Free" On Demand show not actually free.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Free" On Demand show not actually free.

ClifPeterson
Character Actor

I want to watch the "Band of Brothers" miniseries from 2001.

I found it using search as expected.

It indicates that it is Free, but then has button "To Subscribe".

Clicking the "To Subscribe" button gives message to contact support either via phone or chat.

Upon contact, was informed that it is Free if you have an HBO subscription.

I purposely do not want an HBO subscription which is why I don't have the same.

Support offered to add HBO to my subscriptions, but at an increased monthly cost.

Thus, the "Free" indication for the show on the receiver is at best, misleading, and in truth, false advertising.

All DISH would have had to do to not piss me off was to include "Free with HBO subscription" in the information visible on the receiver.

But, by indicating "Free", but then asking me to pay more for that "Free" after I took time to chat has definitely pissed me off.

DISH or DirectTV, who can tell the difference between these companies.  

14 Replies

Re: "Free" On Demand show not actually free.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
There is no false advertising shows. The on demand is free, if you subscribe to the channels they come from. You you subscribe to those channels, you subscribe to the linear channel. Just like HBOGo is free... with an HBO subscription. The toy in the cereal box is free... with the purchase of the box of cereal. You are not paying for the toy. I can keep giving examples of how this isn’t even misleading.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

I kind of agree with the original post. The show will say “FREE” but go to subscribe when I select it. Perhaps that button would be better off labeled Subscribe rather than “free”, since Free means  no charge, not subscribe and get it included. It was misleading to me as well the first time I saw it. 

kbapril23
Extra

I would like to know why that now, sometimes when I click on a show, in the channel guide, listed on an HBO channel, and while I do subscribe to HBO, when I click on the ON Demand option to watch this show, it offers to let me BUY it?  Why would I have to Buy any show listed on HBO, in the regularly scheduled listings or ON DEMAND offers? Please explain that one.

DISH Employee

Hi, kbapril23! Can you give me an example of one of the shows you're having this issue with? 

What receiver model do you have? It should say on the front left model of the receiver. 

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Does it show a price, or does it just say “rent”?

Schmidt05
Extra
I would have to agree, if your paying for the channel it's not free because it just gives you access to watch the shows already on that channel that your paying for. I had the problem trying to watch the White Queen on Starz. I got the first episode but then it asked me to subscribe to watch the rest. Ergo I have to pay for Starz to watch it.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
It is free as in the same way that the toy in the cereal box is free. It is complimentary, as what you’re paying for is the linear channel. On demand is a complimentary service.

tcormell
Extra

I do believe that on the box of cereal it says "free with purchase". 

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Another way of saying complimentary.