"Free" On Demand show not actually free.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Free" On Demand show not actually free.

Klynnrn1966
Character Actor
Same thing with Outlander Starz channel, false advertising😤

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@Chadt4141 wrote:
It is free as in the same way that the toy in the cereal box is free. It is complimentary, as what you’re paying for is the linear channel. On demand is a complimentary service.

One again, I disagree. The set top knows what I have subscribed to and what I have not. A button that says "Free" does not mean free IF or Free WHEN, it means no charge. I would call this a bug. The button should say either FREE if subscribed and SUBSCRIBE if not. 

Saying Free should not require that one has to know if it is truly free or maybe free or had to do something else first. As a UI designer, I would call this a bad UI because, if for no other reason, it is causing confusion right here. That is the definition of a bad UI. 

DISH Employee

Good morning, Major Havoc! That is a wonderful suggestion and I will make sure to forward it to our back office for review!

martinkdall
Extra

I do not not have I subscribed to HBO.  So, why did it let me watch seasons 1 thru 7.3 of Game of Thrones and now has deciced to cease doing so?

'splain that to me Lucy.

DISH Employee

Martinkdall, you should only have access to On Demand content from HBO if you are subscribed to HBO. If you do not have HBO added to your account, you should not have access to the On Demand content. 

Highlighted

JAZ
Extra
Not the same as free toy in the cereal box. 4k on demand movies are listed along with other catagories that are offered with my Dish subscription. These movies should be listed under additional subscription required or under the network channel. Disappointed I just spent a bunch of money to upgrade my equipment and was told about all the awesome 4k content only to have to spend more to get it. I buy the cereal but don't actually get the toy unless I subscribe to the brand for a monthly fee.

DISH Employee

JAZ, While the On Demand Library is a great place to find a good movie or show; that is suggestion that I would be happy to pass up to the correct department to look into doing. Through the library, there is a Free Section as well that will a ton of movies at no cost that you and possibly find something in 4K as well. 

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@KarolenaP wrote:

JAZ, While the On Demand Library is a great place to find a good movie or show; that is suggestion that I would be happy to pass up to the correct department to look into doing. Through the library, there is a Free Section as well that will a ton of movies at no cost that you and possibly find something in 4K as well. 

Karolena, I regularly walk the "free" (OK, these are Free, differet from the other free, because I had to be subscribed to Dish to even see them marked free) list and after looking at all the titles there, I understand why they are free.  Other services (like Vudu for example) have the same free catalog, and a lot of the same really awful movies.  Your statement "...and possibly find something..." is perfect, the key word "possibly" is important. I can't say I have watched one of those free movies yet.

In the suggestion category, the free movies really need an improved UI. Trying to find something to watch is difficult at best.  It sure would be nice if DIsh could order the movies based on my preferences and previous viewing (kind of like Netflix does) because some of those lists are just too long to scroll through, and the same movies show up on more than 1 list. Thanks.

WINMETHOD
Extra

@Chadt4141 wrote:
There is no false advertising shows. The on demand is free, if you subscribe to the channels they come from. You you subscribe to those channels, you subscribe to the linear channel. Just like HBOGo is free... with an HBO subscription. The toy in the cereal box is free... with the purchase of the box of cereal. You are not paying for the toy. I can keep giving examples of how this isn’t even misleading.

Your response is other BS.  If you think it is not, that says an awful lot about you and Dish.  Dish charges a lot of money to subscribers for packages with countless channels, the most of which are never watched.  You are wolves in sheeps clothing charging subscribers for channels that have no value to them and they do not watch.  Then you advertise free dish on demand but have to pay for something (HBO) you don't want, in order to see an On Demand movie.   I also can keep giving many examples of how Dish is cheating the customers. 

frustration
Extra

I think the "free" is misleading plus I have to keep reminding my family "Do NOT choose anything on demand!"  However, I did pay for a movie for my birthday but only got to watch it once although when I rented it I got message it was available for 48 hours.  I tried to watch it right after it finished, but didn't have access.  Yes, "free with HBO" would keep the bait and switch down.