problem with local channels 9, 22, 26

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with local channels 9, 22, 26

jgw1998
Camera Crew
I have VIP211Z receiver. I live in San Francisco Bay area in Northern California.

For the last few months, I am having problems with local channels 9, 22, 26. Sometimes, the picture freeze on and off for 15 minutes or longer. No problems with other local or cable channels.

Is this my reciver or dish problems or many local subscribers have similiar problems?

Thank you.
Tags (2)
20 Replies

Re: problem with local channels 9, 22, 26

DISH Employee
I don't show any known issues with the area right now, but that doesn't sound normal. Does resetting the receiver or changing to a different channel resolve this? Do any error messages ever come up when it freezes, or does the screen pixelate?

jgw1998
Camera Crew
I am in Northern California, San Francisco South bay area.

In recent months, only channels 9, 22, 26 often freeze, and the moving objects on screen pixelate and smear. It typically happens in the evening time. (May be because evening time is when I watch TV. These are the channels I typically watch).

When I switch to other channels, the screen are fine.

I ask this question to Dish, no response so far.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Given that it happens most to the channels you watch most, when you watch them most, you might make a point to watch other channels at other times to help figure it out.

The response above is from Dish. My first guess about your problem was some uplink issue, but I would think an uplink issue for a place as densely populated as SF would be well-known, so that makes me lean towards, something more local like a tree, misaligned dish, cabling... (some of these could show up significantly for only one satellite.)

If it was something like a tree (or the dish) blowing in the wind, it could be gone by the time you switched to another channel.

jgw1998
Camera Crew
Actually, when I watch movies on movie channels such as HBO, there are no freeze problem. Problems only on these local channels, in fact, almost every other day, channel 9 PBS, our favorite, is often unwatchable.

Currently, the Dish antenna is mounted on the edge of my roof, installed in 2014 when I started Dish service.
I assume the Dish antenna can be move to the highest point of my house, which is my chimney around 10 feet away from current spot. I do not see taller tree nearby.

What do I need to do to request Dish to relocate the Dish antenna?

Chadt41411
Casting Director

Schedule a service call. Once they come out, let them know you have a concern that the location of the antenna is compromised by a tree. They will evaluate it. Do not sign the work order until you're satisfied you have sufficient signal.

Do not tell the CSR that you want your antenna relocated, because they will assume for aesthetic reasons and will charge an extra $50 on top of the service call.

jgw1998
Camera Crew
Currently I have two originally installed VIP 211Z receivers, paying extra $7 per month for the second receiver. One of the receiver constantly switch out of SAT mode into TV mode (may be the remote control problems).

The main receiver is downstairs family room. The 2nd receiver is directly upstairs bedroom. I have wood frame house.

I was thinking request change to one single Duo VIP222K.
Will I stop paying the $7 per month additional receiver charge?
Will this Duo VIP222K perform better compare to the original installed receiver since 2014?

I assume this new receiver will require customer service to come out?

How should I get Dish service to relocate the antenna at the same time? Should I talk about channel signal problems first? Actually, I do not care much where they mount the antenna, since its in the back of house and its out of sight. I just wish to able to watch our favorite shows in PBS.

Thank you for your advices.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I don’t think the 222k is eligible to upgrade o. You’d have to buy it. Also, the TV2 on the 222 is in SD and not HD, so you’d be losing something. If you do switch, as long as you only have that one receiver, you’d save $7 per month.

jgw1998
Camera Crew
My mistake.
I still have the original two VIP 211Z receivers.
Can I request Dish to replace with one Duo VIP 222K receiver?
Do they need to send service guy out?

What is the charge of replacing equipment?

Chadt41411
Casting Director

That's what I am saying though. I don't think a dish offers them at all anymore. You'd have to get one from a 3rd party. The 222 family is no longer offered.