pop-up prompts to allow or deny a recording

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pop-up prompts to allow or deny a recording

doggit
Extra
I just recently subscribed to Dish (April 2017), so supposedly I have the latest equipment (and hopefully the latest fw and/or sw as well). One very irritating issue I've seen more than once is as follows... Last night I was be watching a TV show and got a pop up wanting to change the channel to record a program. So I checked the scheduled recordings and discovered there were only 2 recordings scheduled for that time, and one of them was PTAT. The pop-up wanted me to allow or deny the channel change, saying that if I hit 'deny', the scheduled recording would be canceled. Before I could process what was happening, the hopper switched on its own to the scheduled recording. I changed back to the show I had been watching and then checked scheduled recordings again to find that the recording had not been canceled after all. Why does the hopper prompt for this if it's not true? I've seen blogs and forum posts showing this has been an ongoing issue over the last several years (posts as far back as 2013), so it appears that Dish doesn't care enough about its customers to fix the problem.
Signed,
Frustrated!
9 Replies

Re: pop-up prompts to allow or deny a recording

peggyrh
Associate Producer
There's nothing for Dish to fix, you probably have a Hopper w/Sling (not a Hopper 3) which has 3 tuners - so you can only watch live and/or record 3 things at a time. If your timers are set to start recording early or record 3 min longer (which is the default) you can have overlap at the top of the hour - it's why I switched to a Hopper 3 (with 16 tuners, no more issues).

scotar
Audio Engineer
doggit,

This happened to me on my Hopper 3 once. I started a thread about it a few months ago.

It only happened once or twice and cleared itself up with an update I assume.

If you have the H3 it has 16 tuners and mine did exactly just like it happened to you.

Here is the thread.

[url:26v7duow]https://forum.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19250[/url:26v7duow]

Check for any outstanding software updates.

srh10
Extra
This just started happening to us since the new update was released. Just now, we were watching a show and one of our recordings was about to start and the "allow" and "deny" buttons showed up with the message described above. I have older equipment, but I know it should be able to handle recording ONE show while watching another. I had been wondering where some of my recordings had disappeared to when my husband told me that he has been hitting "deny" for the past few weeks! What is the fix for this?

AggieJustin
Costume Designer
I've been experiencing the same behavior on my Hopper w/ Sling. When only one recording is happening (no overlap), it forces the channel change to the recorded channel. Once there, I can switch back and it will use another tuner.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
There's nothing for Dish to fix, you probably have a Hopper w/Sling (not a Hopper 3) which has 3 tuners - so you can only watch live and/or record 3 things at a time. If your timers are set to start recording early or record 3 min longer (which is the default) you can have overlap at the top of the hour - it's why I switched to a Hopper 3 (with 16 tuners, no more issues).

This is happen on hopper 3 since the last update, I had this prompt happen atlest 3 times, when there is like 7+ still free, no reason for such pop up if there more then enough tuners free,

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Interesting, I've never seen that. Just goes to show how some Hoppers can work perfectly while others have nothing but problems over & over. Might be a specific manufacturing plant?

olds4422
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
Interesting, I've never seen that. Just goes to show how some Hoppers can work perfectly while others have nothing but problems over & over. Might be a specific manufacturing plant?

There is also reason why most techs i talked when they came in reguard to hopper systems, they said they "hate" trouble shooting them cause there nightmare in that regard, forget about the software updates that seem to have no Q/A done before pushed, The guide it self still has alot issue since the "change"

peggyrh
Associate Producer
totally agree the guide info is messed up, I've started using FutonCritic web site more & more to find out which shows are new.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
i dont expect to be fixed anytime soon either,