hopper dieing?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hopper dieing?

ThomasW
Camera Crew
Hello, we have been a Dish customer for about 5 or 6 yrs. We have 2 hoppers, a hopper1 and a hopper2/sling and 1 joey. The hopper1 has been acting very strangely the past week. It takes way longer than normal to start up, the joey is connected to it and the picture on the joey tv will freeze & pixelate and it seems like the joey takes longer to start up as well. On the hopper1 the picture isn't terrible, some pixelation, but it is taking longer than normal to change channels and open the guide and menus. The recorded shows do not seem to want to play as of today. Also the front right corner of the hopper1 also seems way hotter than it ever was before.

We have rebooted when this seems to get bad and even unplugged everything for like 10 minutes and it will improve slightly sometimes after that for a little while, but that improve time seems to get smaller and smaller. The hopper with sling on the 2nd floor works perfectly and they all seem to have good sat signal. We are wondering if the hard drive or power supply is failing in this hopper1 unit? Will Dish swap us out another one?

Thanks
Tom
9 Replies

Re: hopper dieing?

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Considering how old a Hopper 1 is hopefully they will swap for a Hopper with Sling, even that is several years old now. Only way to know is to ask, contact one of the reps with your account info, names are in orange.

ThomasW
Camera Crew
peggyrh wrote:
Considering how old a Hopper 1 is hopefully they will swap for a Hopper with Sling, even that is several years old now. Only way to know is to ask, contact one of the reps with your account info, names are in orange.

You mean like pm someone with a orange name directly?

A friend of mine does have a Hopper/sling that he quit using and he said he would give it to me, could I just swap the card in it and use it if it is still working ok?

Thanks
Tom

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Yes, PM someone who's working today.

ThomasW
Camera Crew
Also forgot to mention that 3-4 days ago the hdmi and component outputs stopped working correctly, we are now just using composite/rca yellow video output. The hdmi would work for about 5 minutes after a reboot then just quit to black.

As of yesterday the Hopper1 is now just completely freezing/locking up completely. When it locks nothing works, no menus or buttons cause any reaction, it just sits there with the green light on the front, but no video or sound. After unplugging it comes back on and works for some random period of maybe 6 -15hrs before locking up again.

Is there a good way to know which rep is online?

Thanks
Tom

ThomasW
Camera Crew
Well I just tried to pm a rep and that is not working! I got an error message saying :/

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 12579362988485905

Thanks
Tom

stile99
Cinematographer
Remove special character from your message and try again.

ThomasW
Camera Crew
Yes thanks for that info, after some searching I found that special char's seem to be not liked by the PM machine. One of the rep's must have saw my failing attempts and she PM'd me herself, thank god!

Thanks
Tom

Chadt41411
Casting Director
ThomasW wrote:
Yes thanks for that info, after some searching I found that special char's seem to be not liked by the PM machine. One of the rep's must have saw my failing attempts and she PM'd me herself, thank god!

Thanks
Tom

Was it Pamela? She has been all over the place. She seems like a work horse, killing it. Phoenix is the other name I see helping all the time. Both of which are awesome with the info I’ve seen from them. Kudos to them.

ThomasW
Camera Crew
Chadt4141 wrote:
ThomasW wrote:

Thanks
Tom

Was it Pamela? She has been all over the place. She seems like a work horse, killing it. Phoenix is the other name I see helping all the time. Both of which are awesome with the info I’ve seen from them. Kudos to them.

Yes it was PamelaM, she is being very helpful.