hopper 3 deleted all my recordings

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hopper 3 deleted all my recordings

winy68
Camera Crew
my hopper 3 went into a series of rebooting itself this morning. I had to call customer support, i'm not sure if they helped me or not with that issue, but it eventually stopped rebooting itself over and over again. However, when it stopped all of my recordings on the hopper HDD were gone!. i had alot of stuff on the drive, several series that i was waiting to binge watch, sporting events, nhl playoff games etc, and of course movies.

the cs rep asked me to unplug it from the wall saying that it might magically return my recordings, but it did not.

needless to say i'm irate over this, has this happened to anyone else? were you able to find a way to restore your recordings? i found a topic from 2014 discussing this same issue. i cant believe they havent fixed this in almost 4 years.
15 Replies

Re: hopper 3 deleted all my recordings

winy68
Camera Crew
here's one of many threads talking about hopper deleting your recordings.
it seems it's been a problem for years.

"https://forum.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9982"

i hope someone is able to help me, otherwise i'm going to drop this unreliable service.

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
Did you have it connected to the internet when this happened?

winy68
Camera Crew
longtimecust1995 wrote:
Did you have it connected to the internet when this happened?

yes, i always do

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Any DVR from any company can have the same issue, since it's basically a computer - hard drives die or become corrupt on electronics, it's a pain but it happens. My old Hopper w/Sling died 2 yrs ago, luckily most of my recordings were available to stream for free online. It's even worse when it's your personal computer with important irretrivable info, that's why we're always reminded to make backups or store info in the cloud, electronics aren't infallible.

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
It looks like it may have happened to others during or after a software update. You might want to go into settings>diagnostics and look for Restore options.

winy68
Camera Crew
peggyrh wrote:
Any DVR from any company can have the same issue, since it's basically a computer - hard drives die or become corrupt on electronics, it's a pain but it happens. My old Hopper w/Sling died 2 yrs ago, luckily most of my recordings were available to stream for free online. It's even worse when it's your personal computer with important irretrivable info, that's why we're always reminded to make backups or store info in the cloud, electronics aren't infallible.

even if it was a hardware issue, i expect a HDD to not become corrupted with a couple years. as i said it's a software problem, according to my CS rep and other who've posted on the board.

winy68
Camera Crew
longtimecust1995 wrote:
It looks like it may have happened to others during or after a software update. You might want to go into settings>diagnostics and look for Restore options.

i appreciate your help, the only restore option i see are under tools, but it's restore from another hopper.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
If it was software seems like there would be a lot more people having same issue. You described exactly what mine did - & it was less than 2 yrs old.

I hope the rep replaces your Hopper, I wouldn't want to depend on it.

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
winy68 wrote:
longtimecust1995 wrote:

i appreciate your help, the only restore option i see are under tools, but it's restore from another hopper.

Under tools I have an option that says "RESTORE SETTINGS" (Update your dish remote control or receiver with previously backed up settings) There is also an option that says "BACKUP SETTINGS" (Backup this dish receiver's settings) In the other thread someone said the backup info gets saved within the remote instead of the receiver.

I'm using a hopper w/sling software version SWID U233 so yours might not be the same.

Dish should have a "Auto Backup" option where once a day or once a week, all timers and recordings can be automatically backed up to an external drive connected via one of the USB ports with an additional option to backup via the cloud for users connected online. It's happened to me as well. I lost 500 mb of recordings when a dish vip622 was no longer able to recognize the external hard drive. In my opinion there's just no excuse for customer's losing all their recordings.