force update

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

force update

tangerine
Character Actor
Does anyone know if there's a way to force the Hopper 2 to update itself at night?

My hopper usually updates at 1:38 am but since I'm usually still awake at that time, it skips it. When I turn the receiver off, it updates the guide within a minute, but it takes a good 30 minutes before it checks the software (or whatever it's doing) and reboots.

The problem is my hopper makes a really annoying, really loud trilling noise, and I have to unplug it to be able to sleep. When I'm done watching TV and want to go to bed, I don't want to have to wait a half an hour before I can unplug it. Before this last big update, it used to ask me if it could update itself, which worked fine for me since it was immediate. I could press "yes" and then go do something else for a few minutes.

I'm hoping there's some sort of a setting or secret squirrel button combo or something that will force the receiver to update itself.
7 Replies

Re: force update

DISH Employee
The receiver will check each night for any new updates, and if available it will automatically download the update as long as the receiver is in standby mode. If one or more tuner is in use, the update will be postponed. If no update is performed within 72 hours, then it will be forced and will cause the interruption in your viewing or recording.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
tangerine wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a way to force the Hopper 2 to update itself at night?

My hopper usually updates at 1:38 am but since I'm usually still awake at that time, it skips it. When I turn the receiver off, it updates the guide within a minute, but it takes a good 30 minutes before it checks the software (or whatever it's doing) and reboots.

The problem is my hopper makes a really annoying, really loud trilling noise, and I have to unplug it to be able to sleep. When I'm done watching TV and want to go to bed, I don't want to have to wait a half an hour before I can unplug it. Before this last big update, it used to ask me if it could update itself, which worked fine for me since it was immediate. I could press "yes" and then go do something else for a few minutes.

I'm hoping there's some sort of a setting or secret squirrel button combo or something that will force the receiver to update itself.

Menu > Settings > Power... set the Inactivity Timeout to 2 hours. Then [b:30uqs0oa]do not[/b:30uqs0oa] turn off the hopper when you go to bed. In two hours, it will shut off (standby) and then update. Hopefully by then you're sound asleep and it won't bother you.

tangerine
Character Actor
Thanks for the replies. The problem is that the noise is constant, not just when it's inactive. If it wasn't, that would have worked well, though; I can sleep through anything once I'm actually asleep. :)

RickObe
Visual Engineer
tangerine wrote:
Thanks for the replies. The problem is that the noise is constant, not just when it's inactive. If it wasn't, that would have worked well, though; I can sleep through anything once I'm actually asleep. :)

Maybe the hopper is overheating and so the fan is running full speed? You might try making sure it's fully ventilated on all sides and putting some small feet under it to provide more circulation. If that doesn't help, you may have a bad hopper if it's really making that much noise.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
ErikaP, it doesn't always work that way - my wireless joey disconnects every few nights even though it's regularly turned off at night (& may not have even been used for days). I finally moved it to a sunroom (to avoid the frequent interruptions of abrupt black screen, disconnect, reboot, always at exactly 1am), but soon it will be moved back into a bedroom. I am not looking forward to the 1am interruptions again & my only option may be to relocate my Dish receivers so the wireless joey is in the living room (instead of a bedroom). No one seems to have a fix or even a reasonable explanation, been this way since last year.

ld2
Camera Crew

My Hopper 3 has not updated since November, 2017.  (It's May, 2018). 

-

Tech support has not been able to resolve the issue.

-

I have now lost "Manage My Account" functionality because of this issue.

-

My post about this is here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-Home/Software-Will-Not-Upgrade-several-months/td-p/11887

DISH Employee

Hey, Id2! It looks like LatrishaR responded to your post about this in the thread: Hopper 3 and Joey 3 won't download software. Will you send us a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, please.